Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Received corrected greencard in 2.5 months

Received corrected greencard in 2.5 months

Old Feb 18th 2001, 4:22 am
shadowfax

Well this is just to wrap up an earlier post I made in Nov. I received my corrected green
card last Friday, about 2.5 months after I filed to correct the name on it - the mistake
was dear old INS had cut my first name in half and given me a middle initial. Was told the
new card would arrive a year later. Instead it came last week, less than 3 months after
filing. Boy, was I happy. The best part was, they didn't send me a bill for it, so I guess
they admit the mistake was theirs.

CF

Old Feb 18th 2001, 2:01 pm
Onigiri

> Well this is just to wrap up an earlier post I made in Nov. I received my corrected
> green card last Friday, about 2.5 months after I filed to
correct
> the name on it - the mistake was dear old INS had cut my first name in
half
> and given me a middle initial. Was told the new card would arrive a year later. Instead
> it came last week, less than 3 months after filing. Boy,
was
> I happy. The best part was, they didn't send me a bill for it, so I guess they admit the
> mistake was theirs.
>
> CF
When you get something like this happen to you, you must write back to the INS office
which did this to you. A letter complimenting their work and how delighted you are should
do fine. The "service" industry workers get "noticed" only when the service they provide
is not good. Occasionally when they get a praise it may help them go on with the drudge
that is their lot. Call your congressman's immigration liaison and tell him/her about your
satisfaction about the INS.

Old Feb 18th 2001, 7:26 pm
-=SilentBob=-

Let's not forget the fact that the INS officers (?) on the 1-800 line are pretty much
trained to give information and withhold information at the same time. Don't take the
'over the phone' BS but go to the local INS office where you can come vis-a-vis to the
individual. A nice smile helps also.

SB

>

>> Well this is just to wrap up an earlier post I made in Nov. I received my corrected
>> green card last Friday, about 2.5 months after I filed to
>correct
>> the name on it - the mistake was dear old INS had cut my first name in
>half
>> and given me a middle initial. Was told the new card would arrive a year later. Instead
>> it came last week, less than 3 months after filing. Boy,
>was
>> I happy. The best part was, they didn't send me a bill for it, so I guess they admit
>> the mistake was theirs.
>>
>> CF
>When you get something like this happen to you, you must write back to the INS office
>which did this to you. A letter complimenting their work and how delighted you are should
>do fine. The "service" industry workers get "noticed" only when the service they provide
>is not good. Occasionally when they get a praise it may help them go on with the drudge
>that is their lot. Call your congressman's immigration liaison and tell him/her about
>your satisfaction about the INS.