Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Reapply for GC after abandining LPR Status?

Reapply for GC after abandining LPR Status?

Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reapply for GC after abandining LPR Status?

Originally Posted by Ray
On Full disabilty now ....
Oh dear... poor thing! Caused by that wiggling udder of yours, no doubt!

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Back to the GC situation - my OH is planning on moving back to the USA in May. He has been here in the UK for 10 months now on Leave to Remain (on a spouse visa) in the UK. He wants to move back to the USA ahead of me to get things going over there for us. (Not in Tampa!) Do you think he should start the process going here or there?

If we start the process here, when he moves to USA would it all get a bit confusing? Although from what one poster said it would be quicker from the UK side.

Also as I had a Social Secuirty Card before in the US, upon approval the second timw, will I get that same SCN again or will they issue a new one?

We do have a joint sponsor ready in the US too

Many thanks!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicat26
Thanks for all the info everyone.

Back to the GC situation - my OH is planning on moving back to the USA in May. He has been here in the UK for 10 months now on Leave to Remain (on a spouse visa) in the UK. He wants to move back to the USA ahead of me to get things going over there for us. (Not in Tampa!) Do you think he should start the process going here or there?

If we start the process here, when he moves to USA would it all get a bit confusing? Although from what one poster said it would be quicker from the UK side.

Also as I had a Social Secuirty Card before in the US, upon approval the second timw, will I get that same SCN again or will they issue a new one?

We do have a joint sponsor ready in the US too

Many thanks!
Start it there ...and you SSN is your for life
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think he should start the process going here or there?
Start the process in the UK... much quicker!

If we start the process here, when he moves to USA would it all get a bit confusing?
No.

SSNs are for life... you'll keep the number you currently have.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

OK thanks guys,

So one vote for "start it here" and one vote for "do it in the US"....any other thoughts/furher reasons for either?

Good news about SCN!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks guys,

So one vote for "start it here" and one vote for "do it in the US"....any other thoughts/furher reasons for either?

Good news about SCN!
No !! I am in the US ...I meant start it there, as in the UK ..

So its too votes for start in the UK
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

Good news about SCN!
SSN - Social Security Number!

Ian
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

bluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud of

Being in UK, you hopefully won't have problems, but to share our experience, we did something similar.

My husband had green card but due to circumstances was outside the US over a year (altho he never intentially gave it up). When we reconciled we explored our options including checking with the embassy as to what to do. Mind you our daughter together was 11/12 at the time we reconciled. We ended up filing for a Fiance visa as that seemed the best route given our research. However, when my husband (then fiance) went to the visa interview, we thought it went well and we had dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's but had to wait several months for a security clearance. Contacted them on regular basis during the wait, but as soon as the clearance came back they responded to last inquiry with the comment that they had returned our petition to USCIS.

After several months of chasing a goose, we found out they were accusing us of a fraud marriage. We were never given anything in writing nor had any idea what had happened at the time. It took us nearly 6 years to recover from that baseless accusation.

My advice, go to the interview together. It never occurred to us that someone could ever think our relationship was for immigration only since, of course, it wasn't. We had been together for nearly 12 years prior, had a young daughter together and had given them everything they asked for. We were pretty blown away.

Forewarned is forearmed. I wish I had know it was possible before our interview.

Best of luck!