Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re: Immigrationm Interview / Birth /Marriage Certs- 'Original' V. Photocopy??

Re: Immigrationm Interview / Birth /Marriage Certs- 'Original' V. Photocopy??

Old May 27th 2017, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrationm Interview / Birth /Marriage Certs- 'Original' V. Photocopy??

Can I ask is there actually any difference between an ‘original’ copy Birth / Marriage cert as compared to one that was sent to me from the https://www.gro.gov.uk website and then I photocopied. Would a photocopy of the one that I received from https://www.gro.gov.uk be ok?
I only ask as when going through the US immigration checklist of docs it states the ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED copy of the Birth /Marriage cert… I basically have made a copy of the one that was posted to me when I originally ordered them last year and that is now all I have and it staes on this that it is a certified copy
Not sure if this is going to cause a cancelling/rescheduling of my interview at the US Embassy? I am not sure whether I should reschedule in advance or turn up and then see what they determine- I have ALL other documents ready as per their listing.. but have photocopies that i made of the Birth/Marriage certs
Old May 27th 2017, 9:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrationm Interview / Birth /Marriage Certs- 'Original' V. Photocopy??

A photocopy isn't a certified copy unless it's been certified. Just bring the certificates the GRO supplied you with.
Old May 27th 2017, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyland235
Can I ask is there actually any difference between an ‘original’ copy Birth / Marriage cert as compared to one that was sent to me from the https://www.gro.gov.uk website and then I photocopied. Would a photocopy of the one that I received from https://www.gro.gov.uk be ok?
I only ask as when going through the US immigration checklist of docs it states the ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED copy of the Birth /Marriage cert… I basically have made a copy of the one that was posted to me when I originally ordered them last year and that is now all I have and it staes on this that it is a certified copy
Not sure if this is going to cause a cancelling/rescheduling of my interview at the US Embassy? I am not sure whether I should reschedule in advance or turn up and then see what they determine- I have ALL other documents ready as per their listing.. but have photocopies that i made of the Birth/Marriage certs
There is only one true original, and that is the one that's on file in the government agency (you won't have a true original in your possession).

What the government agency gives you, in place of an original, is a certified copy of the original. It usually has some sort of official stamp or seal on it, perhaps a raised, stating that it's a certified copy. This one becomes your "original".

If USCIS requests an original, you provide them with your certified copy that you got directly from the government agency. If USCIS requests a copy, you can provide them with a photocopy of the certified copy.

In general, USCIS expects to see photocopies when submitting along with an application, and they expect to see the "original" at the time of the interview.

Rene
Old May 27th 2017, 9:35 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You take the one that ordered for about £10 from the GRO website to the embassy. You get it back at the end of your interview.
Old May 28th 2017, 12:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You take the one that ordered for about £10 from the GRO website to the embassy. You get it back at the end of your interview.
Yes, you can ask for the certified copy back and substitute the photocopy at that point. They need to have at least a photocopy for the file but they need to see the actual certified document at the time of the interview.

Years back it was that when you went for an IR visa you were told to bring originals and a copy of every document. I have not heard that this instruction has changed.

Can someone please advise if this still stands as previously instructed or has this been changed?
Old May 28th 2017, 12:38 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview in December 2016 but I went through the NVC (DCF does things differently). NVC already sent the copies of the civil documents to London and he had them on his desk. The originals were taken off me at the first desk and given back to me by the consular officer when he approved the visa. He kept the NVC copies, of course.
Old May 28th 2017, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for our replies- Yes, if i still had the ones that i actually receved from GRO i would naturally take them ...but i haven't! Can't find them!! And at this stage it is now too late to order as insufficient time- All i have are copies i made by scanning the ones i received from GRO..
I know this is now far rom Ideal but unsure whether we should just turn up to the interview with what we have?
Thanks again
Old May 28th 2017, 3:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, go to the interview with what you have. If anything more is needed, the officer will let you know and give you time to turn it in. Visa approval will be put on hold until they receive the docs.

You might just be ok with what you have, too.

Rene
Old May 28th 2017, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, go to the interview with what you have. If anything more is needed, the officer will let you know and give you time to turn it in. Visa approval will be put on hold until they receive the docs.

You might just be ok with what you have, too.

Rene
Thanks Rene- yes, this is what we will do... Will update you guys after the Interview.
Old May 28th 2017, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Ok- well i feel like a right plonker... after hors of searching i have now Found everything!!
it was all in a file i'd set up for US Immigration.
Will update you all after we have been interviewed - although i'll update you guys on the original thread i have on the forum which contains all relevant info with regards our case
Thanks again!!
Old May 28th 2017, 12:00 pm

Glad you found everything!

Rene