Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Quitting on H1 Timeline and Re-entry?

Quitting on H1 Timeline and Re-entry?

Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default Quitting on H1 Timeline and Re-entry?

Hello everyone,

I'm a British citizen on an H1 since last year and have just been offered a position back in Europe. My question is about the timeline for quitting.

Apparently, as soon as I quit I have to leave the US, but what does that mean? If I quit on Monday morning I have to be on a plane Monday night? Really?

If I do have to leave immediately, can I fly to Canada for a day and then re-enter on ESTA? Because I'd like to spend two or three weeks selling my furniture, packing up etc. but don't want to do anything which would annoy customs or jeopardize future visits to the U.S.

There's no rush since I'd like to stop working end July and leave end of August. I can also contact an immigration attorney if this is especially complicated, but I figure there has to be a precedent or someone who's been in a similar situation.

Many, many thanks in advance,
AR
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:24 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quitting on H1 Timeline and Re-entry?

A timely form I-539 to change status to visitor would keep you lawful while you settle your affairs.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crg
A timely form I-539 to change status to visitor would keep you lawful while you settle your affairs.
Ah excellent, thank you crg.

Do you know which status I would be adjusting it to? I might just hire an attorney to do it for me... are Fong/Folinksy/the other board attorneys still around?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

b2?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
b2?
Thanks! Yeah I've heard transferring from an H1 to a b2/visitor visa is extremely difficult to do. But I might be wrong!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you hear that?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Thanks! Yeah I've heard transferring from an H1 to a b2/visitor visa is extremely difficult to do. But I might be wrong!
It's not difficult. It involves filing the I-539, that's it.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where did you hear that?
Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's not difficult. It involves filing the I-539, that's it.

Rene
D'oh, I should stop believing things I've read outside of be.

Okay, I think I'll file the I-539. It looks pretty easy, while attorneys are charging $900-1300 to do it for me. I know the gold standard is to always go pro, but hmmm... has anybody here filed it by themselves?

EDIT: ah screw it, I'll pay the attorney and save myself the potential headache.

Thanks for the help everybody!!!! Very prompt and useful.

Last edited by agentred; Jun 27th 2014 at 5:59 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:36 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

D'oh, I should stop believing things I've read outside of be.

Okay, I think I'll file the I-539. It looks pretty easy, while attorneys are charging $900-1300 to do it for me. I know the gold standard is to always go pro, but hmmm... has anybody here filed it by themselves?

EDIT: ah screw it, I'll pay the attorney and save myself the potential headache.

Thanks for the help everybody!!!! Very prompt and useful.
You really don't need a successful I-539 to accomplish what you want. You need a timely and non frivolous application. If you only need a few days or weeks then it's likely that you'll depart the US before the decision is made and you're usually in status when CIS is thinking about it. There is an unwritten 10 day grace period after work stops to get out. How much time is needed?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
You really don't need a successful I-539 to accomplish what you want. You need a timely and non frivolous application. If you only need a few days or weeks then it's likely that you'll depart the US before the decision is made and you're usually in status when CIS is thinking about it. There is an unwritten 10 day grace period after work stops to get out. How much time is needed?
Thanks for the prompt follow up. I'd only need 2 or 3 weeks - quit in July, leave in August.

I'm even pretty sure I could apply successfully by myself, but just in case it's denied, will that screw up all future ESTA and visa applications? Because I'll have to tick 'yes' to the 'have you ever been denied a visa..' question, right?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:53 pm
crg
American Expat

Thanks for the prompt follow up. I'd only need 2 or 3 weeks - quit in July, leave in August.

I'm even pretty sure I could apply successfully by myself, but just in case it's denied, will that screw up all future ESTA and visa applications? Because I'll have to tick 'yes' to the 'have you ever been denied a visa..' question, right?
An extension or change of status is not a visa application so having one denied is not a visa denial. A visa is an entry document. So that wouldn't trigger a yes response on an ESTA.

Promptly departing following a COS denial would not normally be considered out of status. The denial notice often tells the person to leave within 30 days.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
An extension or change of status is not a visa application so having one denied is not a visa denial. A visa is an entry document. So that wouldn't trigger a yes response on an ESTA.

Promptly departing following a COS denial would not normally be considered out of status. The denial notice often tells the person to leave within 30 days.
Okay this is sounding more and more appealing. I just idly filled out the form and didn't hit any snags... hmmm.....

Will take a closer look tonight but this has, again, been extremely useful and I very much appreciate the responses.