Quick question

Old May 26th 2016, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Wgtdyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question

Hello folks
I have an old post on here which explains about me going for a US visa as I'm not eligible for a ESTA, if I am able to gain a visa all I would be travelling to Florida with my partner who will be travelling on a ESTA. My question would we have to go through security differently at Orlando and Gatwick as I think they have an area for visa travellers and a separate area for ESTA holders. Or can we stick together even though I would be on a visa and she's on an ESTA.

Thanks
Will
Old May 26th 2016, 6:15 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question

I'm not familiar with the procedures at those 2 airports, but I'd assume it's the same as most other airports. Namely, there's no difference going through security unless you get to use a priority lane (1st class, passengers with disabilities etc.)

If you mean immigration, Orlando has passport control kiosks which your partner would be eligible to use if she's previously visited the US since 2008. I don't know how it works in terms of whether or not she would be sent through a separate line if she uses the kiosk, but I believe she can opt out and just go through the regular line anyway. You could always call the airport and ask.

Is it that big a deal? Every time I fly to the UK with my husband, we go through different immigration lines. We cope, somehow
Old May 26th 2016, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Thankyou for the information may try ring and ask. Not particularly bothered either way but my partner has bad anxiety so would be beneficial for her to be beside me.
Old May 26th 2016, 6:35 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wgtdyer
Thankyou for the information may try ring and ask. Not particularly bothered either way but my partner has bad anxiety so would be beneficial for her to be beside me.
Gotcha - in that case, I'd call the airport. I'm sure she'd be able to just go through with you, but they'd be the best ones to confirm with.
Old May 26th 2016, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Gotcha - in that case, I'd call the airport. I'm sure she'd be able to just go through with you, but they'd be the best ones to confirm with.
Thankyou for the help much appreciated
Old May 26th 2016, 11:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old post on here which explains about me going for a US visa as I'm not eligible for a ESTA...
I found it: http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11928840.

... if I am able to gain a visa...
Have you applied yet? You'll likely need a waiver - and that'll push back your travel plans anywhere from 6-8 months.

My question would we have to go through security differently at Orlando and Gatwick...
No. The immigration lines are separate for US citizens (and sometimes those with green cards), and then everyone else. It won't matter if you have a visa or ESTA - you'll both be in the same line.

Ian
Old May 26th 2016, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I found it: http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11928840.

Have you applied yet? You'll likely need a waiver - and that'll push back your travel plans anywhere from 6-8 months.

No. The immigration lines are separate for US citizens (and sometimes those with green cards), and then everyone else. It won't matter if you have a visa or ESTA - you'll both be in the same line.

Ian
Applying soon, I know about the length of time it takes so won't be planning the holiday for another year or so, just wanted to know about the airports in advance. Okay that's great news thanks
Old May 26th 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

As Ian said, visa holders and VWP travelers normally go through together in one line, US citizens in another, and a third line for Global Entry. So stick together.
I used Global Entry the other day for the first time - well worth the $150!
Old May 26th 2016, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen, and indeed have never heard of an airport in the US that does anything other than divide people between two queues - for US citizens and everyone else (which queue permanent residents use can vary between airports). "Global entry" is a recent third queue innovation, but is mostly, though not entirely, for USCs.

Certain visa holders may be sent to "secondary" if they need additional administrative processing to be admitted to the US, (as might any non-citizen where there are concerns or questions about whether they can be admitted to the US) but that is after they go through the regular non-citizen queue.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 26th 2016 at 3:39 pm.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:10 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have never seen, and indeed have never heard of an airport in the US that does anything other than divide people between two queues - for US citizens and everyone else (which queue permanent residents use can vary between airports). "Global entry" is a recent third queue innovation.

Certain visa holders may be sent to "secondary" if they need additional administrative processing to be admitted to the US, (as might any non-citizen where there are concerns or questions about whether they can be admitted to the US) but that is after they go through the regular non-citizen queue.
Pretty sure that when I've come back through Charlotte before there was a permanent resident line too.
Old May 27th 2016, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I entered the US with my OH before he was my spouse, we had to go through separately. The first question they ask is are you married? and if you are not, one of you will need to remove yourself from the booth. You may be lucky and not get asked, but prepare for it and do not argue about it .
Old May 27th 2016, 7:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha - in that case, I'd call the airport. .....
I wouldn't. Such things are largely at the discretion of the officer, and even if you can find out the "standard procedures" I would strongly recommend against trying to tell the CBP officer what his/her standard procedures are, as that is pretty much certain to lead to a rough ride and quite possibly to a lengthy trip to "secondary" where you will likely wait for an hour or two while you consider the error of your ways.
Old May 27th 2016, 7:22 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

In my recent experience at large airports the queue for VWP and visa holders is now subdivided so that those who are returning ESTA users go into their own processing area, with some form of electronic entry. Visa holders and first time ESTA users are processed in by a CBP agent.
Old May 27th 2016, 10:44 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wouldn't. Such things are largely at the discretion of the officer, and even if you can find out the "standard procedures" I would strongly recommend against trying to tell the CBP officer what his/her standard procedures are, as that is pretty much certain to lead to a rough ride and quite possibly to a lengthy trip to "secondary" where you will likely wait for an hour or two while you consider the error of your ways.
Two quick questions - 'are kiosk users sent through a different immigration line' and 'can we opt out of using the kiosk?' just so that they know in advance what to expect
Old May 27th 2016, 10:56 pm

Two quick questions - 'are kiosk users sent through a different immigration line' and 'can we opt out of using the kiosk?' just so that they know in advance what to expect
I think the kiosk line is separate, and in any case it is voluntary, but I am saying that as a non-kiosk user (I have no personal experience).