Questions for a UK to US move

Old Apr 20th 2001, 9:08 am
Mark Duddridge

Hi folks,

I've come up with a couple of questions which I'm sure folks here can help me with.

1) How do I translate my Qualifications from British standards, (I've got a
collection of "O" levels, CSEs, CS's, GCSEs, an RSA Stage I, and an RSA NVQ
Levels I & II), to something an American employer would understand?
2) Do I need to notify anyone back in the UK I am moving to the States,
(e.g Social Security, Inland Revenue)? After all, if someone is born or dies in the
UK a Birth or Death Certificate is produced...

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Mark.

Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:44 pm
Mark Carroll

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There are qualification-equivalency services that exist; I don't know how helpful
they are. It might be good to make a lot out of your work experience.

>
    >
    >
(snip)

No. You may want to file a split year return for your 'final' tax return at the end
of the year, depending on your situation, but that's about it. (They're happy to send
them to overseas addresses.) You might want to contact a UK consulate when you get to
the US to sort out voter registration and suchlike.

-- Mark

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 3:05 am
Beth Bell

Mark- Go to http://www.britishexpats.com Follow the links that will take you to
education equivalents. They have a list that compares UK degrees to American ones. It
might not be quite thorough enough to list every degree, but it will give you some
idea. I myself, have a BFA or bachelor of fine arts- which came after 6 years of
primary (elementary) school, 2 years of Junior High aka middle school, 4 years of
high school, and then 4 years at a university. Two more years would have gotten me a
Master's Degree, two or three after that, a Doctorate or Phd. Beth
----------

[usenetquote2]>>Hi folks,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>I've come up with a couple of questions which I'm sure folks here can help me with.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>1) How do I translate my Qualifications from British standards, (I've got a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> collection of "O" levels, CSEs, CS's, GCSEs, an RSA Stage I, and an RSA NVQ[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Levels I & II), to something an American employer would understand?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>2) Do I need to notify anyone back in the UK I am moving to the States,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>(e.g Social Security, Inland Revenue)? After all, if someone is born or dies in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> UK a Birth or Death Certificate is produced...[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 6:43 am
Mark Duddridge

Thanks to you both, (Mark & Beth), for your help.

Cheers, Mark.