Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding new B1-B2 Visa Regulations

Questions regarding new B1-B2 Visa Regulations

Old Jun 6th 2002, 5:20 pm
Jangju Khan

Default Questions regarding new B1-B2 Visa Regulations

I have heard that INS has imposed new restrictions, or proposed some new limitations
regarding B1 and B2 visa categories. For instance, in some cases some people will be
granted visa entry for only 30 days. I have some questions regarding this. I hope
that some knowledgeable person in this group would kindly answer these.

1. When will the new regulations go into effect?
2. Do these regulations also apply to people who are already in USA on non-immigrant
visas? I am sure they do not. Just want to make sure.
3. How do these rules affect people from Canada - Canadian citizens and permanent
residents?
4. Canadians and Canadian PRs do not need visas to visit USA. How long can they stay
in USA, in light of new laws?

I thank you in advance for your help in answering these questions.

Jangju.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 5:20 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: Questions regarding new B1-B2 Visa Regulations

Jangju Khan wrote:
    > I have heard that INS has imposed new restrictions, or proposed some new
    > limitations regarding B1 and B2 visa categories. For instance, in some cases some
    > people will be granted visa entry for only 30 days. I have some questions
    > regarding this. I hope that some knowledgeable person in this group would kindly
    > answer these.
    >
    > 1. When will the new regulations go into effect?

Nobody knows.

> 2. Do these regulations also apply to people who are already in USA on
    > non-immigrant visas? I am sure they do not. Just want to make sure.

No. The allowed duration of stay is written on the I-94 that you get when you enter.
These don't change.

> 3. How do these rules affect people from Canada - Canadian citizens and permanent
    > residents?
    > 4. Canadians and Canadian PRs do not need visas to visit USA. How long can they
    > stay in USA, in light of new laws?

These proposed rules would only apply to people who use a B1 or B2 visa to enter the
US. People who use other visas or who don't need a visa at all are not affected.

-Joe

Old Jun 6th 2002, 11:20 pm
James Donovan

"Jangju Khan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have heard that INS has imposed new restrictions, or proposed some new
    > limitations regarding B1 and B2 visa categories. For instance, in some cases some
    > people will be granted visa entry for only 30 days. I have some questions
    > regarding this. I hope that some knowledgeable person in this group would kindly
    > answer these.
    >
    > 1. When will the new regulations go into effect?

This is yet to be determined.

> 2. Do these regulations also apply to people who are already in USA on
    > non-immigrant visas? I am sure they do not. Just want to make sure.

No, just to those entering on tourist visas.

> 3. How do these rules affect people from Canada - Canadian citizens and permanent
    > residents?

Probably not canadian citizens, a memo from INS was promised to the snow birds
association from INS. Canadian PR's may be a different story. The maximum stay will
be 6 months, not one year however.

> 4. Canadians and Canadian PRs do not need visas to visit USA. How long can they
    > stay in USA, in light of new laws?

6 months. I think Canadian PR's needed visas to visit USA though. Citizens do not.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 11:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Joachim Feise wrote:
    >
    > Jangju Khan wrote:
    > > I have heard that INS has imposed new restrictions, or proposed some new
    > > limitations regarding B1 and B2 visa categories. For instance, in some cases some
    > > people will be granted visa entry for only 30 days. I have some questions
    > > regarding this. I hope that some knowledgeable person in this group would kindly
    > > answer these.
    > >
    > > 1. When will the new regulations go into effect?
    >
    > Nobody knows.
    >
    > > 2. Do these regulations also apply to people who are already in USA on
    > > non-immigrant visas? I am sure they do not. Just want to make sure.
    >
    > No. The allowed duration of stay is written on the I-94 that you get when you
    > enter. These don't change.
    >
    > > 3. How do these rules affect people from Canada - Canadian citizens and permanent
    > > residents?
    > > 4. Canadians and Canadian PRs do not need visas to visit USA. How long can they
    > > stay in USA, in light of new laws?
    >
    > These proposed rules would only apply to people who use a B1 or B2 visa to enter
    > the US. People who use other visas or who don't need a visa at all are not
    > affected.
    >
    > -Joe

The important thing that keeps getting misinterpreted about this change is that it
doesn't limit anyone's stay if they have the right to a longer stay than 30 days. If
you can justify 6 months, you still can get 6 months. If you want 7 days, you'll get
30 days instead of 90 days or 6 months.

Old Jun 8th 2002, 9:20 pm
Greg Del Pilar

Hi Stuart!

> The important thing that keeps getting misinterpreted about this change is that it
    > doesn't limit anyone's stay if they have the right to a longer stay than 30 days.
    > If you can justify 6 months, you still can get 6 months. If you want 7 days, you'll
    > get 30 days instead of 90 days or 6 months.
    >

We want to stay for 45 days (instead of 30), citing our intention to spend my wife's
birthday with her relatives in California. Would this be considered a valid reason to
give us more than 30 days? I appreciate your prompt advise. Thanks!

Greg