Questions on the I-130

Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Northwest-AL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions on the I-130

Hello Everybody,

Hi I'm back again with more questions, I'm sorry if I'm becoming a broken record but I really do appreciate all the help I have got so far.

The next form I have to finish off is the I-130.

Question 14 asks "If you are a lawful permanent resident alien, complete the following:" My Wife is the petitioner on the form and she is a USC born and breed, Am I right in thinking we should just leave this blank? or put n/a?

Question 19 asks "Your relatives address abroad" Because I'm here in the US on a L1 visa and have been for the last 3 years I don't really have an address abroad. I do use my parents address for some old bank accounts etc that I still have open in the UK, should I put theirs down? after all that is where I would probably end up if I was to leave the US.

Question 22 asks which office will I apply for my AOS and permanent residence? I'm not sure what I should put; I think we will have send all the forms we are filing concurrently to Chicago because that seems to be the main office, but should I put Seattle in the section so I can have a local interview?

Also in the second part of question 22 they ask if your relative is not eligible for AOS where abroad will they apply for a visa? Should I know now if I'm eligible? I think I am, but is that something they are still decide? And if I'm not eligible what visa am going to be applying for in London? If I'm not eligible isn't that the end of the road? Or is the purpose of this question to find out at which consulate I will next appear at, and thus send them all the paperwork ahead of time?

Many thanks for reading my ramblings
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on the I-130

Originally Posted by Northwest-AL
Hello Everybody,

Hi I'm back again with more questions, I'm sorry if I'm becoming a broken record but I really do appreciate all the help I have got so far.

Question 14 asks "If you are a lawful permanent resident alien, complete the following:" My Wife is the petitioner on the form and she is a USC born and breed, Am I right in thinking we should just leave this blank? or put n/a?
I probably drew a line through it; I avoid "N/a"

Question 19 asks "Your relatives address abroad" Because I'm here in the US on a L1 visa and have been for the last 3 years I don't really have an address abroad. I do use my parents address for some old bank accounts etc that I still have open in the UK, should I put theirs down? after all that is where I would probably end up if I was to leave the US.
You're a non-immigrant who is 'allowed' to have dual-intent.. you are one of the few who is not 'supposed' to keep an outside address. Since you do not have an address abroad, you could write 'no address abroad'.

Question 22 asks which office will I apply for my AOS and permanent residence? I'm not sure what I should put; I think we will have send all the forms we are filing concurrently to Chicago because that seems to be the main office, but should I put Seattle in the section so I can have a local interview?
If you live in Washington State, Seattle is your local office (it's not even in Seattle anymore IIRC). Where you mail things to (the central mail box) is not your local office.

Also in the second part of question 22 they ask if your relative is not eligible for AOS where abroad will they apply for a visa? Should I know now if I'm eligible? I think I am, but is that something they are still decide? And if I'm not eligible what visa am going to be applying for in London? If I'm not eligible isn't that the end of the road? Or is the purpose of this question to find out at which consulate I will next appear at, and thus send them all the paperwork ahead of time?
The purpose is to find out which Consulate and I *think* there is no problem with putting London there.
Some people who are not eligible to AOS are still eligible to apply for a visa. at a Consulate.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

N-AL,

14: How about 'Not a lawful permanent resident'. Do you think that might give an accurate understanding?

19: Very good.

22: The question has not changed over the years, although the place where one sends their application has. However, the place where one will be interviewed, should an interview be required, has not changed - the District or Sub office that serves the place where the applicant lives. (They really should update this question.) And yes, you should know if you are eligible to adjust status or not. DIY'ers do have to learn these things.

Regards, JEff

Many thanks for reading my ramblings
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Northwest-AL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
N-AL,

And yes, you should know if you are eligible to adjust status or not. DIY'ers do have to learn these things.

Regards, JEff
Am I right in thinking the eligibility in this situation could be gained through marriage to USC? which I presume is one of many ways.

I am trying to keep track of all the terms used, but with 6 forms to file concurrently it is making my head swim a little
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in thinking the eligibility in this situation could be gained through marriage to USC? which I presume is one of many ways.
There's two parts to the question, really. You are applying based on the the petition/relationship to your spouse. But you could have that and still not be eligible to AOS, which is what your Q22 is about.

I-485 instructions, Page 2 10. Who is not eligible to adjust status

And this list
Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas