Questions about Medical (I-693)

Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

toastytoast33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Questions about Medical (I-693)

I'm from the UK and married to a US citizen and am currently filing for adjustment of status.

I originally came over with my wife on VWP last December but ended up staying due to custody problems with my wife's daughter, and have now decided to stay.

I figured the first step is to go get my medical and wanted some advice. I have heard horror stories about people getting ripped off.

How much should I be paying for my medical (I am in Ohio) and does this include the TB skin test, Syphilis and HIV tests?

I think I have had all the jabs and have had my medical records from the UK faxed over. But if they tell me I need any, can I get them done at my local medical centre to save money?

Is it possible to get the TB skin test, Syphilis and HIV tests done elsewhere to save money?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good place in central Ohio to get my medical?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Medical (I-693)

Originally Posted by toastytoast33
How much should I be paying for my medical (I am in Ohio) and does this include the TB skin test, Syphilis and HIV tests?
I'm pretty sure it includes the TB and HIV tests. I don't know about any other STDs. As for how much you should be paying, each doctor is independent and charges their own rate. Look up the USCIS approved docs in your area, and shop around.

I think I have had all the jabs and have had my medical records from the UK faxed over. But if they tell me I need any, can I get them done at my local medical centre to save money?
Yes.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link to find a USCIS approved civil surgeon in your area. As I said, call each one and shop around, as their rates will probably all be different.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here's the link to find a USCIS approved civil surgeon in your area. As I said, call each one and shop around, as their rates will probably all be different.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

Rene
Thanks for that. I am still unsure about a few things though...

Should I get any missing jabs, TB test and blood tests before I go in order to save money?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Should I get any missing jabs, TB test and blood tests before I go in order to save money?
Hmmm.... seems like i'm replying to my own post!!!

Anyway I called around and found a place doing the medical exam including the TB test and bloodwork for $185 in Columbus, Ohio.

Seems very reasonable!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:19 pm

Hmmm.... seems like i'm replying to my own post!!!

Anyway I called around and found a place doing the medical exam including the TB test and bloodwork for $185 in Columbus, Ohio.

Seems very reasonable!
You might want to call the doc and ask what must be done by him. If he says the TB and bloodwork can be done elsewhere, go for it. If he says he must do that, then you know. I am not sure, that's why I didn't respond.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You must get those tests at the USCIS panel doctor's office. You might be able to get the immunizations you are missing at the medical center of your choicing. Just be sure to get the proof of the immunizations on company letterhead and signed by the physican
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:47 pm
Kat

Hi
When I did my medical recently...I called the USCIS approved doctor an
asked them since I have medical benefits through my husbands work would
they allow me to do all necessary medical with my own personal prime
care doctor an they said YES ASLONG as I provided them written proof
from my doctor an to take that to them when I was to do my medical. So
I did my Syphilis and HIV tests an TB skin test and any necessary
bloodwork through my personal doc. After completling that with her I
called an scheduled an apt with the USCIS approved doc. Because I had
done all the necessary stuff prior to going into their office instead
of costing me over 400(average cost in my area) it only cost me
$100.00. My advice would be to call your approved USCIS doc an ask
them if you can indeed do the necessary testing before you see them as
some DON"T allow it an some DO.

Good luck with your medical
    :)
Kat

PS some docs can charge outragous amounts so don't be surpised when you
hear the differences cause every doc is different from the next

Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

I called around and found a place charging $185 in Columbus, Ohio. This included the TB skin test and bloodwork but not any required vaccinations.

I took along my vaccination records and was told I had all the required vaccinations (MMR, Varicella/Chicken Pox, Pertussis Td, Tetanus, Polio).

They then took some blood, gave me the TB skin test and told me to return in two days.

I was surprised that I was not asked to undress or examined!!!

The blood tests came back negative and the TB skin test was negative too. After a short wait I was given my sealed brown envelope and a photocopy of the completed I-693.

So far so good!