Question Regarding Visa Waiver

Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

MrGMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question Regarding Visa Waiver

Hi Guys

Great forum by the way,

I have a question I was wondering if one of you guys could answer

Basically I registered online via ESTA for the visa waiver for me and my wife to travel to the USA, once done I did get the ok to say it was accepted and permisson granted to enter, but I didnt write down the refrence number mainly thinking I would get an email,

Will this be a problem what do you advice from here

Thanks in advance

Gary
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question Regarding Visa Waiver

You do not need your application number to board your flight. That number is transmitted electronically to the airlines.

That comes from the ESTA web site
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

so I will not have a problem going through customs not having the reference number to hand. I have everything else passprt etc.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that the airline wont let you check in without printed proof you applied since they get fined if they transport people who haven't applied. On the other hand, they might not care.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Can you do it more than once, cos if thats the case then I will do it again and print it with the refrence this time
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know you can do it as many times as you want. I think it even tells you to submit a new application if you accidentally fill in certain bits of info wrong. Check the website.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You may find that the airline wont let you check in without printed proof you applied since they get fined if they transport people who haven't applied. On the other hand, they might not care.
But as the DHS send the ESTA details to the airline why would that be a problem?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrGMT
so I will not have a problem going through customs not having the reference number to hand.
Just so you know, even though you're cleared through ESTA, it is still up to the officer's sole discretion at the port of entry whether or not to allow you to enter the US. ESTA allows you to knock on the door... it isn't a guarantee of entry.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW we have visitors at the moment from the UK (parents and brother) they weren't asked for their ESTA confirmation number at POE.
You will still have to fill in an I-94 even though you have filled the ESTA form in online
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lansbury
But as the DHS send the ESTA details to the airline why would that be a problem?
Because they're airlines! It's hit or miss, one time they almost wouldn't let me check because I was using advance parole. Had to talk to 3 people before they finally realized they were morons and that I wasn't traveling on the VWP, wasn't using a visa, wasn't a citizen and didn't have a greencard. Like I said, it may not be a problem but if it was me I know I would get the numpty that insisted on seeing the proof before checking me in. I also think when you fill it out it does say on there to print and take it with you.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I always carry a hard copy of my authorisation, but I believe that the ESTA ref is paired with your passport number, so when your passport number is checked so is your ESTA clearance.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No wonder there is confusion, I few back yesterday and the cabin staff did not seem to understand the difderence between ESTA and the I-94.

And I also heard a lot of comments on the line of we filled it in on line.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm constantly back and forth between Canada and New York on a British passport. I carry my ESTA printout with me in the passport. Never needed it, but the immigration officer said it's a good idea to carry it with you just in case it's needed.