Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding Background Checks

Question Regarding Background Checks

Old May 13th 2003, 3:56 pm
Fill Out-Copy-File-Wait

TheCoach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question Regarding Background Checks

I have been reading various posts and people's K1 stories and read constantly about things being checked in a computer along the way. I have heard about 'hits' for people with common names and things of that nature. So I am just curious about the process.

I have read posts/K1 stories that you get some sort of check when you first file, when you go for the interview, when you go for your SSN (or something recently I read about them having to check with BCIS) and at your AOS interview.

So if you pass the first initial 'check' when you file and are approved, are they checking along the way to make sure that nothing has popped up since then?
Old May 13th 2003, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question Regarding Background Checks

Me again ;-)

During your time under the watchful jaundice eye of the BCIS you will be security cleared so often they will probably know just how many sheets of toilet paper you use to wipe your arse.

Your names (both the USC and foreign loved one) are cleared at the filing of the I-129F. Your name is again cleared by the US Consulate with the FBI. When you go to AOS your fingerprints are taken and you are run through the FBI and CIA database and your name is cleared once again with the IBIS. When you go for removal of conditions if you are made a conditional permanent resident, the service center will once again do a name check IBIS clearance on you. If you go to naturalize, you will again be fingerprinted and name cleared. This on top of the name and/or print clearance from police departments that you have lived in board if you are doing a K-1 and live in a country where police clearance is required.

So if you commit any infractions of the law, here or there or over the rainbow, they will know about it.

Rete

Originally posted by TheCoach
I have been reading various posts and people's K1 stories and read constantly about things being checked in a computer along the way. I have heard about 'hits' for people with common names and things of that nature. So I am just curious about the process.

I have read posts/K1 stories that you get some sort of check when you first file, when you go for the interview, when you go for your SSN (or something recently I read about them having to check with BCIS) and at your AOS interview.

So if you pass the first initial 'check' when you file and are approved, are they checking along the way to make sure that nothing has popped up since then?
Old May 13th 2003, 4:15 pm
Fill Out-Copy-File-Wait

Hey you!

Isn't it strange how some people like myself get paranoid while waiting on do nothing but come up with questions - only to sail through things and have Rete say "I told you it was a piece of cake"

Guess I just like being informed.

So if I understand you correctly, if you get cleared in the beginning, as long as you aren't committing major criminal acts along the way it is just a 'formality'?

Brian
Old May 13th 2003, 9:24 pm
KLM
Just Joined

KLM is an unknown quantity at this point

BCIS checks can take a long time, I just had mine completed for my AOS petition. Timeline was 7 months from date of finger printing to getting the approval notice in the mail. I was interviewed in late Aug of 02, but was not finger printed till Sept of 02, approval notice received May 2. I processed off of a tourist visa, and am a Candian female with no criminal record. I processed through the LA sub office of San Bernadino.

KM

Hey you!

Isn't it strange how some people like myself get paranoid while waiting on do nothing but come up with questions - only to sail through things and have Rete say "I told you it was a piece of cake"

Guess I just like being informed.

So if I understand you correctly, if you get cleared in the beginning, as long as you aren't committing major criminal acts along the way it is just a 'formality'?

Brian
Old May 13th 2003, 9:46 pm
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Me again ;-)

During your time under the watchful jaundice eye of the BCIS you will be security cleared so often they will probably know just how many sheets of toilet paper you use to wipe your arse.

Rete
Sometimes I only use one sheet to save money. I wonder if I will have a problem

Scott
Old May 13th 2003, 10:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScottHenshaw

Scott
Scott, you're not supposed to use the acutal *bills* for that kind of paper. Try Charmin
Old May 14th 2003, 2:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Scott
Are you using Scott brand of toilet paper. It's the one-ply toilet paper!

NC Penguin
Old May 14th 2003, 3:01 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Scott
As long as you don't economise by using both sides I think you'll be fine......
Old May 14th 2003, 3:51 am
Fill Out-Copy-File-Wait

Don't mean to ruin the jokes here - - -

What is the IBIS?

Brian
Old May 14th 2003, 3:59 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Don't mean to ruin the jokes here - - -

What is the IBIS?

Brian
Interagency Border Inspection System
Old May 14th 2003, 4:01 am
Howling at the Moon

Found some info on it for you.

Inspections - Interagency Border Inspection System
IBIS Fact Sheet

Q: What Is IBIS?
A: IBIS is the acronym for the Interagency Border Inspection System.

Q: Who Uses IBIS?
A: In addition to the U.S. Customs Service and Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), law enforcement and regulatory personnel from 20 other federal agencies or bureaus use IBIS. Some of these agencies are the FBI, Interpol, DEA, ATF, the IRS, the Coast Guard, the FAA, Secret Service and the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, just to name a few. Also, information from IBIS is shared with the Department of State for use by Consular Officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

Q: What Does IBIS Provide?
A: IBIS assists the majority of the traveling public with the expeditious clearance at ports of entry while allowing the border enforcement agencies to focus their limited resources on those potential non-compliant travelers. IBIS provides the law enforcement community with access to computer-based enforcement files of common interest. It also provides access to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and allows its users to interface with all fifty states via the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems (NLETS).

Q: Where Is IBIS?
A: IBIS resides on the Treasury Enforcement Communications System (TECS) at the Customs Data Center. Field level access is provided by an IBIS network with more than 24,000 computer terminals. These terminals are located at air, land, and sea ports of entry.

Q: What Information Is in IBIS?
A: IBIS keeps track of information on suspect individuals, businesses, vehicles, aircraft, and vessels. IBIS terminals can also be used to access NCIC records on wanted persons, stolen vehicles, vessels or firearms, license information, criminal histories, and previous Federal inspections. The information is used to assist law enforcement and regulatory personnel.

Q: Additional Questions?
A: Any concerns you may have as an international traveler or importer about the use or application of IBIS may be address to:Interagency Border Inspection System
U.S. Customs Service
Office of Investigations
Administration, Planning and Policy
FOIA/PA Group, Room 6.5-E
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cg...tions/ibis.xml
Old May 14th 2003, 4:01 am
Fill Out-Copy-File-Wait

Thanks,

And that means? They check across what agencies?

I have no hidden agenda here, just trying to learn as much as I can about what I am going through.

I asked earlier too as a paranoid K1 waiting awaiting my interview: if we were both cleared and given a 2nd NOA, the same sort of check will be done along the way I assume? So as long as we don't committ any crimes there is nothing to worry about?

Can you tell I am a worrier yet?

Brian
Old May 14th 2003, 4:03 am
Scott and Nanette

Coach,

IBIS -- Interagency Border Inspection System

Thank God! I though the ass wiping jokes would go on forever IBIS is a system used by BCIS to check to see if a petitioner or their fiancee has a criminal record of is a criminal, terrorist or all around bad guy. It is very simaliar to that of a police department. Here is a quote taken from Murthy.com

"INS performs background checks using the "IBIS" database for all types of applications and petitions, whether filed at the regional Service Centers or the local District Offices. These checks occur within 15 days of receiving the case and remain valid for 35 days. If the adjudication occurs more than 35 days after the IBIS check, a new check is required. "

Here is a link to Murthy: http://www.murthy.com/UDhed802.html
Old May 14th 2003, 4:05 am
Scott and Nanette

Damn It Lairdside!

I was really proud of myself for looking all that up, only to see that you beat me to it....

Scott
Old May 14th 2003, 4:06 am
Fill Out-Copy-File-Wait

Thanks for the information people.

So they check you all the time as Rete says - so if you are good to go the first time around, as long as nothing changes you are good to go the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time ect?

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.