Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question re mental health and B2 visa

Question re mental health and B2 visa

Old Oct 19th 2013, 11:50 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re mental health and B2 visa

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
This is untrue. Unemployed people do get visas.
True but I would say the odds are against him getting the visa due to the 3 issues he is facing.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

jamie99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advice.
I've documents from the police to show I was investigated and released without charge, documents from psychiatrist to show I'm no risk to myself or others, and just gathering documents to show income and 20+ years at present address with strong family links to the UK. Hoping that will all be helpful.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Presumably not the same one who signed him off as chronic and unable to work.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamie99
Thank you all for your advice.
I've documents from the police to show I was investigated and released without charge, documents from psychiatrist to show I'm no risk to myself or others, and just gathering documents to show income and 20+ years at present address with strong family links to the UK. Hoping that will all be helpful.
Those documents all sound like good forms of evidence. Just remember to submit them all at the time of your application, along with your ACPO certificate and VCU-1 form, as the conoffs are usually reluctant to examine anything you may bring to the actual interview at a later date.

Be prepared for some very in depth and personal questioning about all the issues at your embassy interview and make sure you're able to calmly and confidently state your case. I wish you the very best of luck.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Those documents all sound like good forms of evidence. Just remember to submit them all at the time of your application, along with your ACPO certificate and VCU-1 form, as the conoffs are usually reluctant to examine anything you may bring to the actual interview at a later date.

Be prepared for some very in depth and personal questioning about all the issues at your embassy interview and make sure you're able to calmly and confidently state your case. I wish you the very best of luck.
Do I offer supporting documentation at the first window then? With the DS160 etc?
Verry many thanks for the encouraging words!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Do I offer supporting documentation at the first window then? With the DS160 etc?
Verry many thanks for the encouraging words!
No. You send it as scanned attachments on the same email that you forward your ACPO certificate to the embassy.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Oh OK. Haven't got that far yet. Awaiting the police certificate then booking the interview, I presume I get an email then with the address/reference to send the scans to? I also guess it needs to be only a few solid documents not reams of stuff.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marocco
Beat me to it.

An interesting commentary on our times, but not for this sub forum.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Oh OK. Haven't got that far yet. Awaiting the police certificate then booking the interview, I presume I get an email then with the address/reference to send the scans to? I also guess it needs to be only a few solid documents not reams of stuff.
That always used to be the case, but I've just realised that in the 2 years since I last applied for a B2, the application process has changed and is now completed online. So things may be very different now.

I agree with you that it's best to have a few pieces of good solid evidence rather than reams of extraneous detail. I can only advise you to attempt to submit this at the first opportunity you get - whether that be online or at the embassy itself.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of

Your GP/Psych is under no obligation to provide you a letter and for travel to the US is well out of his domain - medico-legal issues etc If you did anything bad in the US they would be in the shit for giving you the letter. Why take the risk?

The Embassy will send you for a medical with their doc. What they say will likely count for a lot.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needle
Your GP/Psych is under no obligation to provide you a letter and for travel to the US is well out of his domain...
What have you been smoking?

It's quite common for people to get a letter from their GP or Psychiatrist in advance of an immigration interview. Not only are the physicians usually able to accommodate the request, it shows that the applicant is being proactive by addressing possible issues.

If you did anything bad in the US they would be in the shit for giving you the letter.
Nonsense!

The Embassy will send you for a medical with their doc.
The Embassy has no involvement, whatsoever, with visas.

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of

Ian no doctor is obliged to give a note for anything it is at their discretion.

Reason doctors have to be wary as was reported in our journal last month a GP in Wales gave a letter supporting a schizophrenic to visit Australia who went there and stabbed someone. He has been suspended pending a full investigation. Sorry Ian not nonsense this is reality.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Suspended by whom though? If its his own practise (and not the BMA) its difficult to widen that to the whole of the UK. I do wonder of there is any guidance for GPs in this though, because it seems that the practise is commonplace.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Suspended by whom though? If its his own practise (and not the BMA) its difficult to widen that to the whole of the UK. I do wonder of there is any guidance for GPs in this though, because it seems that the practise is commonplace.
A Medical Opinion is just that, an opinion.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

By the medical council so it is national. Even if it was a local suspension you are duty bound to inform any potential employer who wouldn't touch you with a bargepole so it may aswell be national.

There is guidance out there and you are responsible for the content and implications of these letters. That is something Ian fails to realise. Certainly not something to be done without very careful consideration especially with mental health issues. Like that Gp a nonchalant letter done in good faith can finish you. I've noticed recently that more GPs are refusing to do letters of any sort housing, benefits etc Defensive medicine is a reality in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.