Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question re mental health and B2 visa

Question re mental health and B2 visa

Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

jamie99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question re mental health and B2 visa

Sorry to be finding problems just trying to anticipate any problems prior to visiting London:

I'm applying for a B2 visa and have chronic bipolar depression (10years+) quite severe but better managed in the last year or so. No risk to self or others (that's an official diagnosis!)

Will I have any problems? On the DS160 I put down "unemployed" due to depression, have I shot myself in the foot?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:44 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re mental health and B2 visa

Yes you have really screwed yourself over. No unemployed person ever gets a visa. Be real hard to show ties to home now. The bi polar depression might also be a problem others can speak to that better than I can.

Last edited by customsquestion; Oct 18th 2013 at 6:53 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
Yes you have really screwed yourself over. No unemployed person ever gets a visa. Be real hard to show ties to home now.
I wouldn't say that's always true (but perhaps the majority of the time). It just depends on the individual's circumstances. The OP had to get a B-2 visa anyway, because of a prior arrest.

OP, you have several strikes against you right now:

1. Prior criminal history
2. Lack of ties to home country (no job to return to)
3. Potentially problematic medical history

All you can do is go to the interview with all the evidence you can gather that you have ties outside the USA, that you can support yourself during your visit without working in the USA, and that your medical history/problem will not cause you or others any harm.

I assume you are covering the criminal history already.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Obviously not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate all the advice I can get.

Noorah101; I'm working on all those points, thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:07 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask are you in receipt of disability benefit due to your bio polar situation or are do you simply get income based job seekers allowance? I ask you because if you are fit enough to travel to america despite having this bio polar disorder then the job centre could say well your fit enough to work and your benefits would be cut.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Im in receipt of Disability Benefits, and thats a valid thought.

I am trying to get back into Uni to top-up my degree in a health science and return to work as soon as possible. Would love to have the uni confirmation letter in time to take it down to London.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, that letter would mean nothing to a ConOff. People turn down offers of a University place all the time.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I ask you because if you are fit enough to travel to america despite having this bio polar disorder then the job centre could say well your fit enough to work and your benefits would be cut.
That would solve two problems at once.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Could also be real hard to show that he can afford to make the visit, an often overlooked impediment to obtaining a B-2 visa.

Regards, JEff
No unemployed person ever gets a visa. Be real hard to show ties to home now.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Doubledave is an unknown quantity at this point

Jamie - hang in there. I'm new to this thread and I am not as schooled in this as some of the other posters - but I think some tact could have been used in the answers.
1. - Medical: Get a letter from your doctor to support that your condition is as stable as it can be, and that you are not a danger to yourself and/or others. If you can, get a letter of recommendation from your doctor or therapist to back this up and they think you are fit to travel.
2. - Finances: You want a B2 - I assume (as you don't work) that this is because your partner/fiance has an L1 or something? You will need to make sure your partner can vouch for you that they can support you while in the USA through their wages. Again, get this in writing - that your partner will in effect be your guarantor.
3. - Ties to the UK (why you would return). Do you have family in the UK? Maybe you could get the acceptance letter back from the Uni with a start date for next year? It's not a lie if you are fully planning on doing that.

It's a daunting process for someone if you don't prior experience or knowledge in this field at the best of times - and the US visa system is a very tricky one. Maybe people can forget that? Good luck mate.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Doubledave
Jamie - hang in there. I'm new to this thread and I am not as schooled in this as some of the other posters - but I think some tact could have been used in the answers.
1. - Medical: Get a letter from your doctor to support that your condition is as stable as it can be, and that you are not a danger to yourself and/or others. If you can, get a letter of recommendation from your doctor or therapist to back this up and they think you are fit to travel.
2. - Finances: You want a B2 - I assume (as you don't work) that this is because your partner/fiance has an L1 or something? You will need to make sure your partner can vouch for you that they can support you while in the USA through their wages. Again, get this in writing - that your partner will in effect be your guarantor.
3. - Ties to the UK (why you would return). Do you have family in the UK? Maybe you could get the acceptance letter back from the Uni with a start date for next year? It's not a lie if you are fully planning on doing that.

It's a daunting process for someone if you don't prior experience or knowledge in this field at the best of times - and the US visa system is a very tricky one. Maybe people can forget that? Good luck mate.
He has made no mention of a partner/fiance in the USA in any previous postings
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:53 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have really screwed yourself over. No unemployed person ever gets a visa. Be real hard to show ties to home now. The bi polar depression might also be a problem others can speak to that better than I can.
This is untrue. Unemployed people do get visas.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doubledave
Presumably not the same one who signed him off as chronic and unable to work.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

He is seeking a B2 because he has a CIMT arrest (but no conviction).
Old Oct 19th 2013, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Doubledave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
He is seeking a B2 because he has a CIMT arrest (but no conviction).
Woops! Missed that bit! Well good luck anyway mate - whatever happens stay hopeful, and if it's bad news, try and deal with it the best way you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.