Question for the Lawyers

Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:12 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for the Lawyers

I see a lot of questions asked here where the answer is "You need to get yourself an immigration attorney"

Having used an attorney for other civil (non-immigration) matters, I know how easy it is to end up owing many thousands of dollars. (Which, of course, is well worth the cost when the outcome of the proceedings is in your favour!)

What of the people that cannot afford to retain an attorney? Is there any legal aid for immigration? You can murder someone and have no-cost representation, but can you get no-cost immigration help?

This post is not intended to downplay the importance of attorneys, or expect them to work for free. I mean, I wouldn't work for free, why should anyone else?

Just something I have been curious about for a while now.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for the Lawyers

Originally posted by ScousePete
I see a lot of questions asked here where the answer is "You need to get yourself an immigration attorney"

Having used an attorney for other civil (non-immigration) matters, I know how easy it is to end up owing many thousands of dollars. (Which, of course, is well worth the cost when the outcome of the proceedings is in your favour!)

What of the people that cannot afford to retain an attorney? Is there any legal aid for immigration? You can murder someone and have no-cost representation, but can you get no-cost immigration help?

This post is not intended to downplay the importance of attorneys, or expect them to work for free. I mean, I wouldn't work for free, why should anyone else?

Hi:

It depends upon where you are. There are low cost or no cost agencies. It also depends upon what you need. Here in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County Bar Association maintains an "Immigration Legal Assistance Clinic" which is located in room 3147 of the Federal Building where the CIS is located. In other cities, Catholic Charities operates immigration assistance. In still others, "Travelers Aid" does it.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:31 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the Lawyers

Originally posted by ScousePete

That was a smart question
Thanks for the response Mr F