Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question on entering US before the start of new job

Question on entering US before the start of new job

Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

airbusfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on entering US before the start of new job

I'm a non-UK citizen living in the UK currently. I'm going to transfer to the US on an L-1A visa. My new job starts on Apr 1, 2013. I know, I can't enter US 10 days before the start of the new job that is 22 March.

I do however have a B1/B2 visa. I was thinking of going to US earlier on B1/B2 to find an apartment and set it up before the 22nd, say 8th March. I was then planning on exiting to Mexico through the land border and re-enter on L-1A. Do you guys see this as a feasible plan ? or any pitfalls ?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on entering US before the start of new job

Originally Posted by airbusfan
I was thinking of going to US earlier on B1/B2 to find an apartment and set it up before the 22nd, say 8th March. I was then planning on exiting to Mexico through the land border and re-enter on L-1A. Do you guys see this as a feasible plan ?
Yes, seems quite doable.

... or any pitfalls ?
When you enter on your B-1/B-2 visa, how much stuff will you be bringing with you? If it's much more than a suitcase, you might run into trouble since it may be hard to justify your tourist intent.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have an consulate interview date yet for the L-1A?

I think if you show CBP both visas and explain what you intend to do, they're likely to be reasonable and not see you as a threat.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by henryh
Do you have an consulate interview date yet for the L-1A?

I think if you show CBP both visas and explain what you intend to do, they're likely to be reasonable and not see you as a threat.
I don't have the interview date yet. I'm waiting on the I-129S for the blanket L-1 from the US office.

I'm definitely not going to lie to the CBP.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, seems quite doable.

When you enter on your B-1/B-2 visa, how much stuff will you be bringing with you? If it's much more than a suitcase, you might run into trouble since it may be hard to justify your tourist intent.

Ian
Thanks Ian.

We will have 4 suitcases between my wife and me. I'll look into the possibility of shipping 2 suitcases if it reduces possiblitiy of getting flagged, but am not going to hide the reason for the travel to the POE.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We will have 4 suitcases between my wife and me.
Does your wife also have a B-1/B-2 visa? Is she going to leave and re-enter with you? Does she have an L-2 visa yet?

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 31st 2013 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Does your wife also have a B-1/B-2 visa? Is she going to leave and re-enter with you? Does she have an L-2 visa yet?

Ian
Yes, my wife has a B1/B2 as well. She is going to do the same thing as I am re: entering/reentering. We're gonna go for the L-1/L-2 interview together.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Yes, my wife has a B1/B2 as well. She is going to do the same thing as I am re: entering/reentering. We're gonna go for the L-1/L-2 interview together.
Ah, excellent. BTW, I don't think you need to ship the other suitcases... but you had asked about pitfalls so I gave you one!

Ian
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, excellent. BTW, I don't think you need to ship the other suitcases... but you had asked about pitfalls so I gave you one!

Ian
Thanks Ian. Fair enough , that was a good one though. My company is covering some of the moving expenses, so might save me some lifting
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one pitfall: sometimes you don't get a chance to return your B-2 I-94 when crossing by land. My sister did a very similar thing, she came in with a B-2, stayed with me for two weeks, then went to Canada by land, to then come back on F-1. Although the I-94 says "give to a Canadian official" they refused to receive it, because she was going to have a short stay in Canada. Finally, a supervisor understood what was going on and accepted the I-94. When re-entering, she simply showed her F-1 visa, and had no problems.

This is still cheaper than applying to COS.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jxv73
Here is one pitfall: sometimes you don't get a chance to return your B-2 I-94 when crossing by land. My sister did a very similar thing, she came in with a B-2, stayed with me for two weeks, then went to Canada by land, to then come back on F-1. Although the I-94 says "give to a Canadian official" they refused to receive it, because she was going to have a short stay in Canada. Finally, a supervisor understood what was going on and accepted the I-94. When re-entering, she simply showed her F-1 visa, and had no problems.

This is still cheaper than applying to COS.
Thanks for that one. That's one of the reason I'm planning to go to Mexico, as there the I-94 has to be returned to the US officials as opposed to the Canadian officials at the Canada border. I've also read tons of people driving downt to Tijuana border from San Diego and parking their cars on the US side. Literally walking over to Mexico and crossing over the highway to return to the US. There is a counter for I-94 at the border where they issue/re-issue the I-94.

Ofcourse, this is all read off of another forum and am not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum on here.