Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about US citizen after K1/marriage to Canadian

Question about US citizen after K1/marriage to Canadian

Old Jan 31st 2001, 7:24 am
David Wolfrom

Hey all!

I just have a general experience question. The situation would be for an American citizen
marrying a Canadian citizen, most likely living in the U.S. During the K1 process would
there be any problems for myself visiting Canada since I would probably have to use a
passport as I would be flying there (this I am not sure of), or even once married would
there be *any* problems that could arise when I try to visit Canada, and if I would have
to have any extra documentation in my hands (like proof of job). I'm expecting that it
would be just as easy as if I were crossing the border today, but I want to research as
many questions that come up

One other thing that was mostly answered by a post in the last couple days was about
where to marry. If we want to live here in the U.S. but her home is in Canada (thus so is
her church where we would marry) would the easiest and quickest way be to get the K1,
marry her via a judge here (to make it legal), adjust status and get advanced parole,
have a planned wedding in Canadia (I'm guessing just as a "blessing" or however someone
put it the other day ... nothing legal since that would obviously conflict) then come
back here to live.

Thanks all for your wisdom and help on this newsgroup, you truely are kind people!

David

Old Jan 31st 2001, 7:36 am
Alex Jackson

David Wolfrom wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> I just have a general experience question. The situation would be for an American
> citizen marrying a Canadian citizen, most likely living in the U.S. During the K1
> process would there be any problems for myself visiting Canada since I would probably
> have to use a passport as I would be flying there (this I am not sure of),

Unless things have changed in the last 4 yrs you do not need a passport to fly or drive
into the US from Canada. You do need picture ID though. So if you don't have a drivers
license I guess you would use a passport.

Alex

Old Jan 31st 2001, 8:28 am
David Wolfrom

I've only driven into Canada, and I know you only need a drivers license if they even ask
for ID. It would make sense if you didn't need a passport to fly from US to Canada, but
for some reason I thought it was more strict when flying (like at least needing a
certified copy of birth certificate if you don't have a passport)

David

> David Wolfrom wrote:
>
> > Hey all!
> >
> > I just have a general experience question. The situation would be for
an
> > American citizen marrying a Canadian citizen, most likely living in the
U.S.
> > During the K1 process would there be any problems for myself visiting
Canada
> > since I would probably have to use a passport as I would be flying there (this I am
> > not sure of),
>
> Unless things have changed in the last 4 yrs you do not need a passport to
fly
> or drive into the US from Canada. You do need picture ID though. So if
you
> don't have a drivers license I guess you would use a passport.
>
> Alex