Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about travel during H1 transfer

Question about travel during H1 transfer

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 5:52 pm
hello_world_bye

Hi

Is it illegal to travel with the stamp of one company & the receipt notice of another
(in the light of the new H1 portability laws) if you have already started working for
the new company ?

My lawyer says there's no law against it, but it is risky.

I need to travel, but there's no way the transfer will be approved by that time. What do I
do? The new company is not ready to wait till the time I return - they say they will hire
somebody else in my place if I don't join as soon as the H1 transfer receipt comes.

Thanks

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 6:14 pm
jetrotall

Yes it's risky - because the INS may consider it as an abandoning of the pending transfer.
This article puts some light on this issue

http://www.usvisanews.com/faq-chempl...#chemployers-e

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it illegal to travel with the stamp of one company & the receipt notice of another
> (in the light of the new H1 portability laws) if you have already started working for
> the new company ?
>
> My lawyer says there's no law against it, but it is risky.
>
> I need to travel, but there's no way the transfer will be approved by that time. What do
> I do? The new company is not ready to wait till the time I return - they say they will
> hire somebody else in my place if I don't join as soon as the H1 transfer receipt comes.
>
> Thanks