question about passport

Old Jul 20th 2003, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

lfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura about
Default question about passport

my husbands interview isnt until nov 18 and he has the non machine readable passport. starting oct 1 all passports need to be machine readable. since my husband's passport is valid until dec 2004 does he need to get the new passport?
thanks in advance.
linda
Old Jul 20th 2003, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: question about passport

Originally posted by lfaridi
my husbands interview isnt until nov 18 and he has the non machine readable passport. starting oct 1 all passports need to be machine readable. since my husband's passport is valid until dec 2004 does he need to get the new passport?
thanks in advance.
linda
Hi:

The Machine Readable Passports are needed for entry on the Visa Waiver. It is now in effect for Belgium.

This does NOT apply to passports which have a VISA in them.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 10:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default another question about passports...

Originally posted by lfaridi
thanks in advance.
linda
Another question about passports....

If the beneficiary is from one of the countries where there is a waiting period between the interview and the issuance of a visa, does the beneficiary get his passport back in the meantime? And then does he have to go once again when the visa is ready to get it stamped in his passport? Or does the consulate keep the passport all that time until the visa is ready to be stamped in? Just curious, as my fiance will be in that position later this year.

Thanks,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:24 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default passports

FWIW, I would think that anyone coming to the US should get a "fresh" passport before going to their visa interview. This avoids problems such as expiration, and newer passports are most likely machine readable. At least that is what we did.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 2:50 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

British passports have been machine readable for some years. At least, my old 10 year one was. I'm not sure all countries yet have machine readable passports, so getting a new one wouldn't help in that case. Also a little silly to get a new passport if the old one is already machine readable.
I'm interested about the biometrics passports we must have from 2004. We currently live in the UK, so if I want to travel to the US in 2004, will I have to get a visa? (I normally use VW). And if so, if I eventually do get a biometric passport (mine doesn't run out until 2011!) will I then be unable to use VW any more because I had to get a visa?
Incidentally, anyone know much about tourist visas? How much, what photos, is there an interview?
I can't really not go to the US because of my husband's family all being there.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 3:02 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MrsLondon
British passports have been machine readable for some years. At least, my old 10 year one was. I'm not sure all countries yet have machine readable passports, so getting a new one wouldn't help in that case. Also a little silly to get a new passport if the old one is already machine readable.
I'm interested about the biometrics passports we must have from 2004. We currently live in the UK, so if I want to travel to the US in 2004, will I have to get a visa? (I normally use VW). And if so, if I eventually do get a biometric passport (mine doesn't run out until 2011!) will I then be unable to use VW any more because I had to get a visa?
Incidentally, anyone know much about tourist visas? How much, what photos, is there an interview?
I can't really not go to the US because of my husband's family all being there.
My understanding is that if you don't obtain a biometric passport that you will need to obtain a visa.

I don't believe that the fact that you have obtained a visa in the past will mean that you cannot use the VWP in the future, unless you had to obtain a visa because you were for some reason no longer eligible to use the VWP or the visa was refused.

It looks as if a B-2 visa would cost £67.00, that fisrt time visa applicants are interviewed and that you need one photo which complies to DoS regs.

The info is here :

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/b2.htm
Old Jul 21st 2003, 3:34 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Will the UK be doing biometric passports by then though? If they are I don't mind getting one, but won't there be a long wait, as everyone rushes to get them at once?