Question about parents visiting

Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about parents visiting

This might get a tad long, my apologies in advance.

I'm a PR living in the US, my parents live in The Netherlands (visa waiver eligible). They are both between 56-58 yrs old, my dad has his own business and my mom also works. Own their own house. They like to visit us about twice a year, usually in the spring and fall, for app. 7-10 days each visit. So far they have visited 6 times since the fall of 2005.

Last year (2007) they came over in April, but had to leave after 3 days because my grandma suddenly passed away. They came back at the end of June to 'do it over', for 9 days. Then again in October, for 11 days.

Both in June and October my mom was questioned (in her words) quite thoroughly - they wanted to know why she kept coming over ('visiting the kids') and if she'd like to move over here ('maybe when we're retired').
Both times they let her in without having to go to secondary inspection. (Now that I am writing this I am not certain where my dad was at those times - if he was standing there or if they went to the booth seperately).

She thought the guys were just being friendly and curious. Unfortunately I had to bust her bubble, that they were fishing for information that might indicate them remaining in the US without the proper visa. That quite upset them... they are very trusting people and all they want is to be able to visit their daughter and grandkid (and son-in-law) without having to worry about being sent back.

I advised them to bring plenty of proof with them about their jobs/business/house on their next trip. But I am also thinking if maybe it would be wise for them to get a B2 visa. They have no intention of moving here even after they are retired (which is at least still 7 years away in itself). What they would like eventually is some vacation property here and spend a few months here at a time. But like I said, not for another at least 7 years.

In the meantime they just want to visit 'as usual' twice a year for less than two weeks at a time. Now I've been around here long enough to know there is no way to know how the 'border guys' will react, and guesstimates are hard to give.
I'd still like some opinions though.... like how bad is this questioning really? Does it indicated they (she) are (is) flagged somehow? Does it always go from here to worse? Would they be better off to get a B2 for those few brief trips (they'd still not be guaranteed in)?

Thanks any and all for your time.

Elaine
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about parents visiting

How would they justify a need for a B2?

It should not make any difference at he PoE.

I have been to Secondary, a pain, but I have only come across one jerk in all my entries.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that the questioning means they've been flagged. The IOs have been fine with my MIL but she's only been here twice in two years. She has absolutely NO intent of ever moving here; her life is in the Netherlands. The rest of her family is there, her friends are there, her *health care* is there, and her language is there. I think she managed to convey, in her limited English, these things to the IOs.

I think your mom did a great job with the questions and will continue to do so. If I were to bring something over, I would bring professional business cards with the name, address, phone number, email etc of your parents' work places.

Secondary means additional detainment and the length of time and degree of hassle varies. I've heard horror stories and have been there myself ("random check" :rolleyes"). I found it insulting to be searched (patted down) more thoroughly, in public (in an area just off to the side, and yes, my ticket was flagged as SSSS). I was really pissed off when I discovered that they had "forgotten" to put my laptop back into my carryon -- I didn't check it because the extra security had made me miss my flight and I had to catch the next flight to Houston. This was outbound, however, and in the name of anti-terrorism rather than immigration control.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
This might get a tad long, my apologies in advance.

I'm a PR living in the US, my parents live in The Netherlands (visa waiver eligible). They are both between 56-58 yrs old, my dad has his own business and my mom also works. Own their own house. They like to visit us about twice a year, usually in the spring and fall, for app. 7-10 days each visit. So far they have visited 6 times since the fall of 2005.

Last year (2007) they came over in April, but had to leave after 3 days because my grandma suddenly passed away. They came back at the end of June to 'do it over', for 9 days. Then again in October, for 11 days.

Both in June and October my mom was questioned (in her words) quite thoroughly - they wanted to know why she kept coming over ('visiting the kids') and if she'd like to move over here ('maybe when we're retired').
Both times they let her in without having to go to secondary inspection. (Now that I am writing this I am not certain where my dad was at those times - if he was standing there or if they went to the booth seperately).

She thought the guys were just being friendly and curious. Unfortunately I had to bust her bubble, that they were fishing for information that might indicate them remaining in the US without the proper visa. That quite upset them... they are very trusting people and all they want is to be able to visit their daughter and grandkid (and son-in-law) without having to worry about being sent back.

I advised them to bring plenty of proof with them about their jobs/business/house on their next trip. But I am also thinking if maybe it would be wise for them to get a B2 visa. They have no intention of moving here even after they are retired (which is at least still 7 years away in itself). What they would like eventually is some vacation property here and spend a few months here at a time. But like I said, not for another at least 7 years.

In the meantime they just want to visit 'as usual' twice a year for less than two weeks at a time. Now I've been around here long enough to know there is no way to know how the 'border guys' will react, and guesstimates are hard to give.
I'd still like some opinions though.... like how bad is this questioning really? Does it indicated they (she) are (is) flagged somehow? Does it always go from here to worse? Would they be better off to get a B2 for those few brief trips (they'd still not be guaranteed in)?

Thanks any and all for your time.

Elaine
Elaine:

Its a fine line IMHO. Too much documentation shows a tad too much planing. Although your parents come often, they have never stayed long. I think your mother handled it perfectly. I would recommend that she have wallet photo's of "the kids" and especially the grand-kid -- So she can pull out the photos and gush appropriately -- "Isn't he so-o-o cute?"

I may have mentioned earlier an experience we had at Heathrow in September 2004. Here are two Americans in the late 50's with their 21 year old daughter. It was our daughter who was questioned at length about her university and plans [U.C.'s fall term starts about three weeks later than most US schools. But no real intersession either]. She is then asked about purpose of visit and she says "visit my uncle." How is he your uncle? Points to her mother and says "Her brother." I see where this is going and I say just four words "He is naturalized British." "Welcome to the United Kingdom." I like to think I avoided a problem with an economy of words.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I would recommend that she have wallet photo's of "the kids" and especially the grand-kid -- So she can pull out the photos and gush appropriately -- "Isn't he so-o-o cute?"
That is too funny! I can see how the IO probably can't wait to get rid of her then... LOL. In all seriousness, I can see how that would be helpful.

Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking about the B2 because it would mean they're sort of pre-cleared and it shows their intention of being a tourist a bit more than just the VWP (since most people don't even seem to know what all is and is not allowed on it). But I didn't really see why they would need a B2 for the way they've been visiting (so I figured I'd throw this out here ).

The business cards idea is good, and I'm thinking my dad could probably have a print out of his schedule for after their return home with him... and mom maybe a print of the ever-so-sweet email from her co-worker wishing her happy trails and 'see you on the ....th'.

Their English isn't all that great (they do fine) but it still makes them nervous. I think I made that worse by telling them what those guys were really asking for...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you did make them more nervous and that will add to their anxiety on the next visit. Please assure them that the questioning is nothing to be afraid of and that it is precautionary only on behalf of the officials who examine visitors.

Also let Mom and Dad know that if the agent has questions that they cannot understand that they should ask the agent to call you and to honestly say "I don't understand what you are asking me".

They should also point out, if there is a problem, their bi-annual visits and how they have always left within the timeframe stated on their previous arrivals.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you are in the system you are in the system.

My neighbour always had his schedule of what he was doing on his trips, as we had a spare key we were copied in, so I knew exactly where he was having lunch with whom, which hotel etc etc

Odd to me, but seemingly quite normal elsewhere.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has been questioned a couple of times. She got quite stroppy last time, saying something along the lines of "stop asking me stupid questions... my grandson is on the other side of that wall and you are keeping me from him!" She also didn't fill out the US address on the forms since she couldn't remember it, and quite theatrically made one up on the spot when the POE officer said she couldn't continue unless she provided one.

As a complete coincidence I'm sure, the POE officer made a note on her customs form for her bags to be searched, and as a result they confiscated baby formula she had brought over for the grandson (something to do with it being dairy)!

I told her to keep her mouth shut next time and just be polite! Think she learned her lesson...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
My mum has been questioned a couple of times. She got quite stroppy last time, saying something along the lines of "stop asking me stupid questions... my grandson is on the other side of that wall and you are keeping me from him!" She also didn't fill out the US address on the forms since she couldn't remember it, and quite theatrically made one up on the spot when the POE officer said she couldn't continue unless she provided one.

As a complete coincidence I'm sure, the POE officer made a note on her customs form for her bags to be searched, and as a result they confiscated baby formula she had brought over for the grandson (something to do with it being dairy)!

I told her to keep her mouth shut next time and just be polite! Think she learned her lesson...
lol.. you ARE your mother's son!

She sounds like a practical woman.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm sure you did make them more nervous and that will add to their anxiety on the next visit. Please assure them that the questioning is nothing to be afraid of and that it is precautionary only on behalf of the officials who examine visitors.
Gee thanks! j/k

Seriously, my mom tends to go overboard answering questions like 'would you like to live here'. She'll be a combination of enthusiastic and polite and tell the IO how wonderful she thinks his country is and that she would love to live here because it is so spacious everywhere and the weather is wonderful all the time and she just loves the selection at the grocery stores and the people... the people are all so nice and not rude at all! Get the picture a bit? LOL
While the real answer is no, not really, maybe a few months each year after we retire in 7-10 years. Thank goodness she added that the last time ('maybe after we retire'). I'm not even sure she said 'maybe', now.

So yeah, I think I needed to tell her to zip it a little bit and just tell the IO no when she means no, even though in some kind of dreamworld she wouldn't mind living here. See what I'm saying and why she scares the heck out of me?

Also let Mom and Dad know that if the agent has questions that they cannot understand that they should ask the agent to call you and to honestly say "I don't understand what you are asking me".

They should also point out, if there is a problem, their bi-annual visits and how they have always left within the timeframe stated on their previous arrivals.
Not sure if I told them this when we talked about this, but I'll be sure to let them know, good advice. Thanks!

Oh and Hobbes, that is hilarious!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Gee thanks! j/k

Seriously, my mom tends to go overboard answering questions like 'would you like to live here'.

I had one of those myself. She could weave a novel out of the answer to one question. Think that is where I learned to fall asleep sitting up with my eyes open.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had one of those myself. She could weave a novel out of the answer to one question. Think that is where I learned to fall asleep sitting up with my eyes open.
Once you find that place, it's a good place.

I did tell her to just be herself and to just give them the answer she thinks is most accurate and honest... please don't try and be something you're not, because they'll notice something is off (even if it turns out it's just nerves in the end). I do regret it a bit though... I probably should have left her to think the IO's are all just curious people very much into small talk!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Damn good advice. One daughter did a stint with the company who provides the gate services at LAX for Air France [and other foreign carriers]. She was often asked to translate in both primary and secondary inspection. I heard some interesting stories and got an interesting insight into what happened.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

That is too funny! I can see how the IO probably can't wait to get rid of her then... LOL. In all seriousness, I can see how that would be helpful.

Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking about the B2 because it would mean they're sort of pre-cleared and it shows their intention of being a tourist a bit more than just the VWP (since most people don't even seem to know what all is and is not allowed on it). But I didn't really see why they would need a B2 for the way they've been visiting (so I figured I'd throw this out here ).

The business cards idea is good, and I'm thinking my dad could probably have a print out of his schedule for after their return home with him... and mom maybe a print of the ever-so-sweet email from her co-worker wishing her happy trails and 'see you on the ....th'.

Their English isn't all that great (they do fine) but it still makes them nervous. I think I made that worse by telling them what those guys were really asking for...
Hi:

BTW, Dutch people in their late 50's pushing 60 don't strike me as likely to stay in the US. Other nationalities I can see getting the third degree. BTW, the low incidence of overstay and violation of status is why the Netherlands is a Visa Waiver country in the first place.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

BTW, Dutch people in their late 50's pushing 60 don't strike me as likely to stay in the US. Other nationalities I can see getting the third degree. BTW, the low incidence of overstay and violation of status is why the Netherlands is a Visa Waiver country in the first place.

I hope the IO's will keep agreeing with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.