Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

question about green card renewal and traveling outside of US

question about green card renewal and traveling outside of US

Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

dada888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about green card renewal and traveling outside of US

I have a question

If I fill out papers to extend my 10 year old green card do I need also to turn in my current card ?
My card expires june 2017. I plan to fill out extension in January. But in march I'm going to travel outside of US.
Can I still use my current card for traveling (card will be still valid at that time) ?

Does INS require old car to be turned in at the time of renewal application? Or we can keep it until new card arrives?

Thanx
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about green card renewal and traveling outside of US

Originally Posted by dada888
I have a question

If I fill out papers to extend my 10 year old green card do I need also to turn in my current card ?
My card expires june 2017. I plan to fill out extension in January. But in march I'm going to travel outside of US.
Can I still use my current card for traveling (card will be still valid at that time) ?

Does INS require old car to be turned in at the time of renewal application? Or we can keep it until new card arrives?

Thanx
Here is the link to the form and instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Sounds like you only need to submit a photocopy of your current card. Your current card will be valid right up until the day it expires. I assume you will return to the USA prior to its expiration?

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My card expires june 2017. I plan to fill out extension in January.
Also, you're not extending. You are renewing (as your thread title correctly states).

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rene beat me to it. I was reading the I-90 instructions for you.

Yes, you need to submit a copy only and you CANNOT FILE BEFORE SIX MONTHS FROM THE EXPIRATION DATE.

You might or might not be called to do biometrics.

The fee is currently $365 for the application for renewal and $85 for biometrics *due* only if you are called for biometrics.

If you are traveling and your renewed green card has not been received and you will be out of the US at the time of its expiration, I suggest you bring a copy of the filed paperwork and your receipt as proof that you have filed. Always better to be cautious.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-90
Old Nov 5th 2016, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered naturalizing as a US citizen and never having to worry about US immigration ever again?

Does INS require old car to be turned in at the time of renewal application?
The INS hasn't existed in over 13 years.

Ian