Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about Certificate of Naturalization

Question about Certificate of Naturalization

Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Jengreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Certificate of Naturalization

I have just taken my Oath Ceremony in Boston on 9/8/16. It feels great to be done with Green card etc. I am sure this is a very obvious question, just need some further assurance. My certificate has my pic in the bottom left hand corner with my signature. The name on the Certificate is my full name and I need to sign the certificate. Since my signature is different (somewhat shortened) and already on the certificate, should I sign my full name as typed onto the certificate, or just do the same signature to match the existing one . Struggling to see how I could have worded this post any worse than I have...So sorry. Just need to get it signed so I am not worrying about it. Thanks so much
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Certificate of Naturalization

There's no real answer here, but I would sign it in a similar way to how it is already printed on the certificate just to save questions down the line.

Once you have applied for a passport (which is highly recommended for all new citizens), you'll find little use for the certificate anyway (mine's been in a drawer almost since I got it!), so why risk complications.

There's no law against having more than one signature as long as it's not used to defraud. Ask any celebrity, who has a signature as well as an autograph.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Guindalf about said it all. In short, it doesn't really matter, especially after you get your passport. I don't think I have ever been asked for mine, or needed to show it to anyone, since I applied for my passport.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it had to be signed at the ceremony when it is first given to you. Been many years so most probably I am wrong.

Hubby signed it with his full name as it appeared on the certificate and I thought he also had to sign the back of his photo that was attached to it the same way.

Hubby has his mounted and displayed on his personal wall along with the American flag that I had flown over Congress for him in commemoration of his oath ceremony. His wall contains all his military commendations, both US and Canadian.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 14th 2016 at 6:19 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:45 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Guindalf about said it all. In short, it doesn't really matter, especially after you get your passport. I don't think I have ever been asked for mine, or needed to show it to anyone, since I applied for my passport.
I was asked to show mine when I went to get my nationality changed on the social security system. My US passport was not enough - it proved I was, but not how. I was told that it was to prove that I had become a US citizen by naturalisation rather than suddenly finding out I had been one all along. Not sure of the logic but I had taken it with me - always be over-prepared for paper pushers...