Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about "Plastic Green Card"

Question about "Plastic Green Card"

Old Sep 23rd 2001, 4:25 pm
Nospam

Hi, I got my I-551 stamp in my passport in April '01 at Chicago INS. Till now I
haven't received my Plastic Green Card yet. Can someone tell me what are the
timelines to get the Plastic card after I-551 stamp? Thanks in advance. Please reply
to the newsgroup as I am using an e-mail address for nospamming.

Regards, -Y-

Old Sep 23rd 2001, 6:37 pm
Michael

I was told up to 10 months. This was dealing with the LA District Office. Michael

Old Sep 23rd 2001, 7:42 pm
Michael Voight

nospam wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Any time up to a year. However, after 6 months, I would contact INS to see if
it got lost.

Old Sep 23rd 2001, 10:31 pm
Jolenne

I went through the Norfolk office in early May. I was told that it could take up to
10-11 months to get my card in the mail. To my surprise it arrived in the mail this
past Friday.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 2:55 am
Riri

I am still waiting since 19 Sep 2000..... Went to the local INS on 19 Sep 2001 (exact
1 year later) and they have not issued it yet. I HATE INS! R

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 2:36 pm
Rita

"RiRi" <[email protected]>
    >
    >

We ain't so fond of it either. Were you able to get the extended I-551 stamp in
your passport?

Rita and Jim

4 days shy of a full year of waiting for a card that never came.

Old Sep 24th 2001, 10:10 pm
Riri

I went to my local INS on Sep 19th, 2001 (exactly 1 year after) and got another stamp
for another year. I am so tired of INS that I am becoming a pain in the @$$! No GC,
lost papers, congressperson useless......

Will I ever become a US so I can insult INS? R

"Rita" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > I am still waiting since 19 Sep 2000..... Went to the local INS on 19 Sep 2001[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (exact 1 year later) and they have not issued it yet. I HATE INS! R[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 29th 2001, 9:12 pm
Oerip

I got I-551 stamped on May-2001 and and recieved REAL green Card on the end of
September-2001. Only 4 months required for INS Dallas Office.They have wonderful INS
officers !.

Urip

"nospam" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 1st 2001, 6:09 am
M

Having a plastic greencard does not make your permanent resident status any more
valid than your stamp on your passport. As a matter of fact permanent residency is a
legal status. The card or the stamp is merely a proof of that status. If you lose
your card or your passport with that stamp you still have your resident status. On
the other hand, INS can revoke the PR status. Having the plastic card does not
provide any more protection than having that stamp.

>
    >

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 5:42 am
Riri

Yes, try to explain it to NY INS at the border. With the stamp they ALWAYS sent me to
the court that is in the airport. And explain to them that you have the flight back
to home (california) in 25 minutes and they need to hurry. What would happen if I had
not even the stamp, but the status only.

I wouldn't mind if I had 1 trip a year but my job is going ack and forth many times.
With the system that demands you all the burocracy and waive theirs at pleasure, I
always have to be patient. I need the card they want to see and do not issue, this is
the point.

R

"M" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > I am still waiting since 19 Sep 2000..... Went to the local INS on 19 Sep 2001[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (exact 1 year later) and they have not issued it yet. I HATE INS! R[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 4:15 pm
M

That's unfortunate. Maybe you should avoid JFK. I have used I-551 stamp to get back
in at a few different border entrances and never had a problem. Sometimes they
check my A number against their database, most of the times they just take a look
and let me in.

[usenetquote2]> > > I am still waiting since 19 Sep 2000..... Went to the local INS on 19 Sep 2001[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (exact 1 year later) and they have not issued it yet. I HATE INS! R[/usenetquote2]
    >