Question

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

thanx4memory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question

I came to the US 4 years ago. I entered the country legally but overstayed my visa waiver. 3 years ago I got married to a US citizen. We kept trying to raise the money for my adjustment of status but were never able to afford it, as I couldnt get a job and all of her income went towards running the house. 6 weeks ago she left me. I am currently stuck here in Illinois, no job and unable to get one. I am barely surviving especially as it seems there really isn't any support available for someone in my situation. Right now I just want to go home. However with no income I can't afford the plane ticket. What should I do? Turn myself in to USCIS in the hope they deport me? Can the British embassy help me? I am at my wits end and really need some good advice.

Thanks
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question

Originally Posted by thanx4memory
I came to the US 4 years ago. I entered the country legally but overstayed my visa waiver. 3 years ago I got married to a US citizen. We kept trying to raise the money for my adjustment of status but were never able to afford it, as I couldnt get a job and all of her income went towards running the house. 6 weeks ago she left me. I am currently stuck here in Illinois, no job and unable to get one. I am barely surviving especially as it seems there really isn't any support available for someone in my situation. Right now I just want to go home. However with no income I can't afford the plane ticket. What should I do? Turn myself in to USCIS in the hope they deport me? Can the British embassy help me? I am at my wits end and really need some good advice.

Thanks
Do you not have any family or friends back in the UK (or even here in the USA - after 4 years, you should have some friends...) who can help you pay for a plane ticket?

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You might try just showing up at the airport with proof of your overstay, and see if an airline will help you out somehow. Might be worth a shot...

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

thanx4memory is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately there really is no-one for me to turn to for help.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:08 pm

Try the airlines, see what they say. Just show up with your expired I-94 at the airport, and tell them you need to take the next flight out, as you've overstayed and are here illegally. See what they say.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What have you been doing for the past six weeks? You obviously have access to a computer... perhaps you also have access to a church or synagogue or mosque or <insert whatever is appropriate for you>. A few words with a clergy member will probably do wonders for your outlook on things.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1013618517645

One of these should help, only thing is you have to pay and arm and a leg for the call, unless you live close to any of them!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Turn myself in to USCIS in the hope they deport me?
I'll just add here that if USCIS does deport you, be prepared to face a 10-year ban from the US as a result of the overstay. Still, it doesn't sound like you want to be in the US anyway so maybe it won't impact you too badly.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll just add here that if USCIS does deport you, be prepared to face a 10-year ban from the US as a result of the overstay. Still, it doesn't sound like you want to be in the US anyway so maybe it won't impact you too badly.

Ian
He's subject to the ban if he's deported or leaves voluntarily, isn't he?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym
He's subject to the ban if he's deported or leaves voluntarily, isn't he?
Yes, as soon as he leaves the USA (either way), the ban kicks in.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You could always try Catholic Charities. They help with immigration issues and emergency situations such as yours.
Here are the websites: http://www.catholiccharities.com/ or http://www.catholiccharitiesinfo.org....aspx?srcid=-2

On the second link just click on "Get Help", and it will take you to another page where you can find a Catholic Charities in your area. Good Luck!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trasmus
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You could always try Catholic Charities. They help with immigration issues and emergency situations such as yours.
Here are the websites: http://www.catholiccharities.com/ or http://www.catholiccharitiesinfo.org....aspx?srcid=-2

On the second link just click on "Get Help", and it will take you to another page where you can find a Catholic Charities in your area. Good Luck!
Good idea.

I believe they will help anyone you do not need to be Catholic.