Quest for the right visa...

Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quest for the right visa...

Originally Posted by Dan261
I have general experience in this field (property developer)
I have extensive knowledge of the area and prices in the location I am seeking.
I have a job offer from a broker, but will only be available as self employed position...
Hypothetically if you didn't need a visa, you can't just borrow a desk in an office, buy a lap top and a cell phone and call yourself a Realtor. To be a Realtor you need to be a licensed member of the National Association of Realtors. You know that, don't you?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't you have to the courses and exams to become licensed in the USA? That would also cost something.

Rene
Yep, at a state level and by Pulaski's reply seemingly a national level too.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Already spoken for thanks 😃
Come back when you are not.

PS Realtor exams are not the difficult.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Yep, at a state level and by Pulaski's reply seemingly a national level too.
I think membership may be through the state associations. The NAR claims 1.2million members.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:53 am

I have general experience in this field (property developer)
I have extensive knowledge of the area and prices in the location I am seeking.
I have a job offer from a broker, but will only be available as self employed position...
The problem you face is that, by definition, an E-2 business cannot be a subsistence job, it has to stimulate economic benefit to the community, it has to employ US citizens/ legal residents, or have the potential for growth, or some combination thereof. I can't just generate enough income for "you" to live in the US, so you, sitting at a desk "self employed" ain't gonna cut it.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 2:27 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a realtor's license appears to be somewhat easy - pay your money, take your course and put your name on the exam paper et voila! However realtors must work through a brokerage firm ( Keller Williams etc) unless they've got themselves to be a licensed broker which takes a few years working as a realtor and then some more exams.

Realtor's are self-employed and end up paying about 50% of what they earn to the brokerage firm. It's easy money for the brokerage firm, the realtor is self employed, does all the work and the brokerage sits back and takes their money. The more realtors they attract, the more money they make. They don't actually care that much about the realtors so long as they have their license.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Dan261 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hypothetically if you didn't need a visa, you can't just borrow a desk in an office, buy a lap top and a cell phone and call yourself a Realtor. To be a Realtor you need to be a licensed member of the National Association of Realtors. You know that, don't you?
Yes, there are online courses available to satisfy the 75hr seat time required, followed by a course related exam taken in the US.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The problem you face is that, by definition, an E-2 business cannot be a subsistence job, it has to stimulate economic benefit to the community, it has to employ US citizens/ legal residents, or have the potential for growth, or some combination thereof. I can't just generate enough income for "you" to live in the US, so you, sitting at a desk "self employed" ain't gonna cut it.
This is what I was thinking, however, in true self employed spirit - the sky is the limit! Who says you can't be the top seller within a brokerage pulling in more sales/listings and receiving over and above the usual income to survive...the main hurdle is the inability to employ further citizens...you need two years experience as a realtor before applying for independent brokerage license.
Has anyone heard of a successful applicant taking this route??
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there are online courses available to satisfy the 75hr seat time required, followed by a course related exam taken in the US.
Your problem still is getting the visa, nothing you have so far posted seems to give any hope of getting one, sorry to be negative, but you really need to research the visa situation, and find one that WILL give you a chance to get there.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Your problem still is getting the visa, nothing you have so far posted seems to give any hope of getting one, sorry to be negative, but you really need to research the visa situation, and find one that WILL give you a chance to get there.
So true, I have been researching options for the past few years. I have a few options that I'm exploring - this being one. I came across a thread from 5-6 years ago where a guy claimed this as a successful route, hence my interest and quest to find any other successful applicants.

My first choice is the L1-A visa, but there are negatives with this option.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 9:28 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

L1-A is unlikely to work - how are you going to work for this company in the UK for a year first?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
L1-A is unlikely to work - how are you going to work for this company in the UK for a year first?
As I said, I have researched options for a while now. I have duplicated my current business in to the US, whereby I can transfer via L1-A.
Just looking at other (different) options, shouting out to people who have had success in this route.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 10:07 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but your business in the UK must continue, it cannot cease. Personally I don't think this is a go-er.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yes but your business in the UK must continue, it cannot cease. Personally I don't think this is a go-er.
My business in the uk continues under the management of the other partners...
It's a go-er
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Who says you can't be the top seller within a brokerage pulling in more sales/listings and receiving over and above the usual income to survive...the main hurdle is the inability to employ further citizens...you need two years experience as a realtor before applying for independent brokerage license.
You seem to have an answer for everything the members here might suggest. Since it seems that an E-2 visa might not be a viable route and since it's not our job to do your research for you, what other options has your research unearthed?

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.