Queries about the upcoming DV

Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

lookingtomovefromUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Queries about the upcoming DV

Hello everyone
I've been combing the internet all day trying to find answers to some queries I have about the upcoming Diversity Visa Lottery, but can't find quite what I need. I'd really appreciate some advice. I'll be applying for the DVL in Autumn. What I need to know (before application) is:
1) Is the fact that I hold both a British and a NZ passport a problem? I'll be applying as a NZ national, but I've lived in the UK since I was 2 and (in truth) have no connections to NZ. However, this seems not to matter; it is citizenship that seems to be important (according to the information I've seen anyway).
2) About 20 years, I was refused a tourist visa for entry to the US (probably because I was unemployed at the time). Would I have to mention this at any stage, and would it affect my application in any way? The application was in another name, but I am assuming that there may still be details of this on a computer somewhere.
3) I've just found out that my other half (who I'll be marrying before application) has a UK police caution for possession of the tiniest (and I do mean, the tiniest) amount of cannabis dating back to around 10 years ago. According to the posts I've seen, this doesn't have to be a big problem (it isn't a conviction and it was a long time ago), but opinions do seem to vary. Does anyone know how this might be viewed by the authorities?
4) Finally, if we are lucky enough to be picked (long shot, I know!) but fail at the interview stage, would this affect any future applications (for DVL or other visas)?

Quite a few queries there I know, and I apologise if this is ground that has already been covered elsewhere, but I would appreciate hearing people's opinions/experience. I've learnt a lot in a short space of time by reading the forum postings. Thank you very much
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queries about the upcoming DV

Originally Posted by lookingtomovefromUK
Hello everyone
I've been combing the internet all day trying to find answers to some queries I have about the upcoming Diversity Visa Lottery, but can't find quite what I need. I'd really appreciate some advice. I'll be applying for the DVL in Autumn. What I need to know (before application) is:
1) Is the fact that I hold both a British and a NZ passport a problem? I'll be applying as a NZ national, but I've lived in the UK since I was 2 and (in truth) have no connections to NZ. However, this seems not to matter; it is citizenship that seems to be important (according to the information I've seen anyway).
2) About 20 years, I was refused a tourist visa for entry to the US (probably because I was unemployed at the time). Would I have to mention this at any stage, and would it affect my application in any way? The application was in another name, but I am assuming that there may still be details of this on a computer somewhere.
3) I've just found out that my other half (who I'll be marrying before application) has a UK police caution for possession of the tiniest (and I do mean, the tiniest) amount of cannabis dating back to around 10 years ago. According to the posts I've seen, this doesn't have to be a big problem (it isn't a conviction and it was a long time ago), but opinions do seem to vary. Does anyone know how this might be viewed by the authorities?
4) Finally, if we are lucky enough to be picked (long shot, I know!) but fail at the interview stage, would this affect any future applications (for DVL or other visas)?

Quite a few queries there I know, and I apologise if this is ground that has already been covered elsewhere, but I would appreciate hearing people's opinions/experience. I've learnt a lot in a short space of time by reading the forum postings. Thank you very much
1/ It's nothing to do with your nationality but rather your place of birth. Spouses can claim their other's place of birth, too, if theirs is excluded. Read the instructions carefully.
2/ You should mention it but it shouldn't be a problem.
3/ Big problem! Should think long and hard about what you're gonna do about this before you do it! Possibly with some legal advice thrown in. Maybe send off for his subject access record now?
4/ Could be a yes if you were refused for something that makes you inadmissible. And at this stage it's all in black and white and attached to US government records.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:00 pm
Joe Feise

lookingtomovefromUK wrote on 08/26/07 14:33:

> Hello everyone
> I've been combing the internet all day trying to find answers to some
> queries I have about the upcoming Diversity Visa Lottery, but can't find
> quite what I need. I'd really appreciate some advice. I'll be applying
> for the DVL in Autumn. What I need to know (before application) is:
> 1) Is the fact that I hold both a British and a NZ passport a problem?
> I'll be applying as a NZ national, but I've lived in the UK since I was
> 2 and (in truth) have no connections to NZ. However, this seems not to
> matter; it is citizenship that seems to be important (according to the
> information I've seen anyway).

Citizenship does *not* matter at all. Country of birth matters.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:57 am
J. J. Farrell

On Aug 26, 10:33 pm, lookingtomovefromUK
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been combing the internet all day trying to find answers to some
> queries I have about the upcoming Diversity Visa Lottery, but can't find
> quite what I need. I'd really appreciate some advice. I'll be applying
> for the DVL in Autumn. What I need to know (before application) is:
> 1) Is the fact that I hold both a British and a NZ passport a problem?
> I'll be applying as a NZ national, but I've lived in the UK since I was
> 2 and (in truth) have no connections to NZ. However, this seems not to
> matter; it is citizenship that seems to be important (according to the
> information I've seen anyway).

Citizenship is totally irrelevant. It's place of birth that matters.

> 2) About 20 years, I was refused a tourist visa for entry to the US
> (probably because I was unemployed at the time). Would I have to mention
> this at any stage,

Yes.

> and would it affect my application in any way?

It depends on exactly why it was refused.

> ...