Pulled over tonight

Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pulled over tonight

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I thought the OP was living in the US, but then I haven't bothered to read the start of it

Re being pulled, I drive very different to people here. My standard is far higher, meaning I change lanes when I have completed passing which results in me being pulled. Never had a speeding accusation mind, which is ironic given I drive 90 on the highway most days.
Not to argue but I don't change lanes until safely able to do so with room between the car in front of me and behind me. And until recently, most of my driving is all highway driving.

Oh well, glad that the state troopers I have passed on the roads and have changed lanes in front of don't feel that I drive too safely to be on the road.

Perhaps it is the type of car you drive, rather than your driving. Didn't mean to impinge your high standards.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not to argue but I don't change lanes until safely able to do so with room between the car in front of me and behind me. And until recently, most of my driving is all highway driving.

Oh well, glad that the state troopers I have passed on the roads and have changed lanes in front of don't feel that I drive too safely to be on the road.

Perhaps it is the type of car you drive, rather than your driving. Didn't mean to impinge your high standards.
I drive a fast car, but not one that attracts attention in my opinion. It's most distinguishing thing is that its German, which accounts for about 1% of cars in MA heh.

It's not about changing lanes, but the frequency to which I change. The moment I have finished passing, I pull to the inner most lane - it's always free as no one travels in it. I then am forced to undertake cars, as no one moves over to passing traffic, and generally everyone drives very slowly.

I've never had half these problems in England as, for the most part, people keep left unless passing. The standard of driving here - including from the police - is utterly *awful*. There's a reason why American crash statistics are through the roof compared to Western Europe.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Aug 17th 2016 at 7:22 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:54 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
they've changed the rules since according to the officer, they don't issue tickets any more, just a report of the incident which is filed and someone behind a desk now decides what the punishment is. I was surprised too, had a FPN many years ago for speeding so was surprised when they didn't hand one over for this

the courses have been expanded too not only for speeding but for hand held devices
Okay here goes. Ian is quite right, when you are stopped you have not been detained at that point, you are just cooperating. If you were to try and leave before the required outcome has been reached, you will then be detained.

Nowadays most police forces in England and Wales will issue a referral notice, the officer submits his part along with his/her recommendations to the forces Central Ticket Office, it is then that Force Policy will dictate what the outcome is. If you have not received a ticket previously for using a mobile phone whilst driving then the likelihood is that you will be invited to attended an education course at your expense (no points), if you accept this option but then do not attend you will then be summoned to court.

If you have already attended a course for a like offence then you will be offered a fixed penalty notice or a day out in court.

I'm sorry I can't help with the visa side of things, but at least this explains what the likely outcome of the stop is.

Stu
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:05 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Okay here goes. Ian is quite right, when you are stopped you have not been detained at that point, you are just cooperating.
That's not what Ian said, however.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Nowadays most police forces in England and Wales will issue a referral notice, the officer submits his part along with his/her recommendations to the forces Central Ticket Office, it is then that Force Policy will dictate what the outcome is. If you have not received a ticket previously for using a mobile phone whilst driving then the likelihood is that you will be invited to attended an education course at your expense (no points), if you accept this option but then do not attend you will then be summoned to court
When did this change? Is it a national policy or force to force?
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:41 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

It differs from force to force, so officially comes under Force Policy, however most forces have either adopted it or are in the process of.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 3:07 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to update, they finally processed it and i have to go on a course which will avoid the points on my licence.

Kinda of lucky i guess since the only date available is the week before i fly.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Ive ben stopped twice. Once for turning right without stopping at a red light - let off without a ticket and just a warning. Second for driving too fast - on this occasion I had only just entered the country and dint have a us driving license yet - i supplied my uk license. The officer said he wasn't sure what to do with it, wrote me a ticket and i paid a fine.
On neither occasion was i asked to step out the car etc.
With those two examples in mind I am thinking I would need to report the second one and not the first?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just to update, they finally processed it and i have to go on a course which will avoid the points on my licence.

Kinda of lucky i guess since the only date available is the week before i fly.
Just so you know, you will be sent a certificate for attending this class. Once you are in the US permanently and need car insurance, this certificate will get you a 10% discount on collision premiums.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:48 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know, you will be sent a certificate for attending this class. Once you are in the US permanently and need car insurance, this certificate will get you a 10% discount on collision premiums.
Thanks for the advice, i'll see what the US insurance companies say when i start looking, will also have a letter saying i had 10 years of no clams history too.

Was thinking if they had left it any later processing the file it would just have to be the 3points and the fine since i would have left the uk by then.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:04 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

will also have a letter saying i had 10 years of no clams history too.
From what I gather, US insurance companies have slim to no interest in international no-claims - my insurer was however interested in how long I'd been driving in the UK which lead to a discount as an 'advanced/experienced driver', they didn't ask if I had any points/penalties.etc on my UK license, but I was being insured under my NYS issued license.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:17 pm
Banned

Why would a certificate detailing they had attended a course due to their careless driving provide an insurance discount? That's the complete contrast of what UK insurers are doing; some are increasing rates for those going on these silly courses.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:21 pm
Conditional Resident

Why would a certificate detailing they had attended a course due to their careless driving provide an insurance discount? That's the complete contrast of what UK insurers are doing; some are increasing rates for those going on these silly courses.
yea well thats just Uk insurance companies being idiots, you would think if someone went on a course to learn a new driving skill or to better improve his skills it would result in a reduction of the premium not increase.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:32 pm
Banned

yea well thats just Uk insurance companies being idiots, you would think if someone went on a course to learn a new driving skill or to better improve his skills it would result in a reduction of the premium not increase.
Do you even know what these courses are, out of interest? Or why they are being provided?

99.999999999% of people attending these classes are all there for motoring infractions - in the case of the OP, for using a handheld device when driving, which can be considered careless driving at worst, and distracted at best. Those type of drivers need sky high premiums to punish their actions (I have zero tolerance for phone use whilst driving), not a ****ing discount!
Old Sep 29th 2016, 5:22 pm
Concierge

It is the same course that you take for the discount on your insurance. I take them once every few years for the discount. Several in the classes are there for point reduction.

Yes, it seems to be a wasted day because anyone there for point reduction only wants to retain their licenses. But for the $50 for the course, it means lower premiums for myself and well worth it over the course of its validity.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 29th 2016 at 5:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.