Provisional File Question

Old Jul 15th 2002, 9:20 pm
Ken

Default Provisional File Question

Does anyone have experience requesting a provisional file with the Vancouver
consulate? Will they inform me that the file has been opened? Should I call or email
a request for an update? I gave them my email address and phone number.

Our current timeline:

6/20/2002 Expressed mailed I-129F package to VSC
6/21/2002 VSC received I-129F package
6/22/2002 First NOA - post marked 6/27/2002 - received 6/29/2002
6/23/2002 Second NOA - post marked 7/10/2002 - received 7/12/2002
6/24/2002 Faxed Vancouver consulate with request to open provisional file

Old Jul 15th 2002, 10:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Provisional File Question

The US Consulate in Vancouver is user friendly and will open a provisional file for you. You can, of course, e-mail or call them to confirm that they have done so as per your fax to them. Your indication that they have done is the receipt of the package from them of the documentation you need to assemble and return to them, i.e. the checklist, bio, etc.

Rete
Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:20 am
Wim Colgate

They will NOT open a provisional file. I asked them and here is a cut/paste from the
email I received from the Vancouver consulate.

"We will start the file only when you have received the APPROVAL NOTICE. Thanks"

I suspect, you could start the file after fax'ing the approval notice from the
service center, but in my case, my fiance got the packet #3 two days after I got my
approval notice. So there really was no big deal in the time differential.

Regards,

Wim

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have experience requesting a provisional file with the Vancouver
    > consulate? Will they inform me that the file has been opened? Should I call or
    > email a request for an update? I gave them my email address and phone number.
    >
    > Our current timeline:
    >
    > 6/20/2002 Expressed mailed I-129F package to VSC
    > 6/21/2002 VSC received I-129F package
    > 6/25/2002 First NOA - post marked 6/27/2002 - received 6/29/2002
    > 7/3/2002 Second NOA - post marked 7/10/2002 - received 7/12/2002
    > 7/12/2002 Faxed Vancouver consulate with request to open provisional file

Old Jul 16th 2002, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Jo_B will become famous soon enoughJo_B will become famous soon enough

My husband faxed Vancouver on July 1st with our approval notice and a letter asking to open a provisional file for us. July 3rd they called him at home (collect), stating he did not fax in the proper NOA. They told him it was a fiance visa approval, not a K3 approval. It clearly states on the approval that:
To obtain immigrant status - once your spouse has been admitted to the United States in K3 status - the K3 nonimmigrant must properly file Form I-485 and so on.
I emailed them on July 5th asking them what exactly were they looking for to open our file as this IS the approval notice we have received. This was there reply:
HI,
WE DO NOT SET UP PROVISIONAL FILES FOR K3 VISAS. WE WILL SEND THE
INSTRUCTIONS TO THE SPOUSE IN CANADA AFTER THE APPROVED PETITION IS HERE.
VANCOUVER WILL RECEIVE THE APPROVED PETITION IF YOU WERE MARRIED IN CANADA
OR THE U.S. IF YOU MARRIED IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY THAT IS WHERE THE APPROVED
PETITION WOULD BE FORWARDED.
THANKS
VANCOUVERK
I called the Nat'l Visa Center and was told they had sent out the notice to the consulate on July 9th and yes indeed, we do have the right notice, it IS for a spouse.
So here we sit, approved as of June 27th and nothing from the Consulate as of yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the next step for us to take? Or do we just wait for Vancouver to send us package #3?
Jo
Old Jul 17th 2002, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_B will become famous soon enoughJo_B will become famous soon enough

Is anyone else having problems opening a provisional file with the Vancouver Consulate?
Any suggestions on what to do other than wait for the package to arrive?
Thanks so much
Jo
Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Ken

I faxed the Vancouver Consulate yesterday and they replied that they would be sending
the packet out today. Wow!!! Things are moving faster than I expected. I just hope
everything else goes as quickly.

Ken

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > The US Consulate in Vancouver is user friendly and will open a provisional file for
    > you. You can, of course, e-mail or call them to confirm that they have done so as
    > per your fax to them. Your indication that they have done is the receipt of the
    > package from them of the documentation you need to assemble and return to them,
    > i.e. the checklist, bio, etc.
    >
    > Rete

Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wim Colgate
They will NOT open a provisional file. I asked them and here is a cut/paste from the
email I received from the Vancouver consulate.

"We will start the file only when you have received the APPROVAL NOTICE. Thanks"

Regards,

Wim

William

You failed to note that Ken had the Notice of Approval. This is why I posted as I did.

Rete
Old Jul 17th 2002, 9:20 pm
Wim Colgate

Woops. I should have read more carefully. Sorry!

Wim

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Wim Colgate wrote:
    > > They will NOT open a provisional file. I asked them and here is a cut/paste
    > > from the email I received from the Vancouver consulate. "We will start the file
    > > only when you have received the APPROVAL NOTICE. Thanks" Regards, Wim
    >
    >
    >
    > William
    >
    > You failed to note that Ken had the Notice of Approval. This is why I posted
    > as I did.
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com