Proving Financial worth

Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

sanielle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proving Financial worth

Hi everyone, while I am sure this question has been asked before. But I can't find anything! argh.

In the middle of the visa process (me a usc) and him english. How do we prove our financial worth? We don't have exactly the 56,000 dollars you need (actually we only have 30,000, depending on the exchange rate) but we have family we can borrow it off temporarily. Do we need a bank statement? or do we need many months of bank statements? Also do we have to keep it in cash form (and for how long)? We'd really like to buy a condo but don't know if it counts if we put the money toward a home?

thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving Financial worth

It helps if you say what visa process you are doing. K-1 fiance, or CR-1 spouse immigrant visa?

From this post, it almost sounds as though you are living together in the UK, is that the case?

Anyway, assuming you guys are married and doing an Immigrant Visa, and you are talking about the I-864 Affidavit of Support, then the way it works is this: You (the USC) must show that you earn US-based income at 125% of the poverty level for your family size plus the immigrant. The income amount can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864P.

If you (the USC) do NOT earn enough US-based income, then your husband's income can be included with yours *only if his income will continue from the same source when he gets to the USA*. If this is not the case, then you have 2 options:

1. You can use joint assets (meaning the assets can belong to you, to him, or to both of you jointly), which equals 3 x the amount you would have needed in income. The assets can be in the form of property or cash.

2. You can use a Joint Sponsor. The Joint Sponsor must be 18 years old or more, be a USC or US PR, and be living in the USA.

To answer your specific questions, you don't have to prove you financial worth. It doesn't help to borrow money from anyone to put in your savings, because the ConOff will be suspicious of any large sudden deposits to your account, unless you can show that it came from the sale of your own property (yes, they will ask for bank statements, etc). It does not help on the I-864 to show you put any money towards a home. Either you own a home to use as an asset, or you have enough cash to show as an asset.

Hope that helps...but please come back and clarify the first questions I had, so we know exactly what you are trying to do.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answer! We're married and living in the UK (applying for the spousal visa etc). I was made redundant here and he is working but would leave his job when we go to America. we sold out house in March but only made 20,000 pounds (30,000$) but the US gov want 56,000 dollars. We can leave some money from fmaily in our account for a while (maybe) but dont want to arouse suspicians. The problem is its the only way we'll have enough.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanielle
Thanks for your answer! We're married and living in the UK (applying for the spousal visa etc). I was made redundant here and he is working but would leave his job when we go to America. we sold out house in March but only made 20,000 pounds (30,000$) but the US gov want 56,000 dollars. We can leave some money from fmaily in our account for a while (maybe) but dont want to arouse suspicians. The problem is its the only way we'll have enough.

How would you show that you accumulated that money if asked? You need funds that are yours to spend if needed and unless you were being gifted with that money and never have to return it, you can't use it.

Have the family member complete an I-864 on your husband's behalf. They can co-sponsor him for the IR visa.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Rete. In your situation, a Joint Sponsor will be necessary.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:52 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

s,

You're not understanding, perhaps not even thinking about, the basic principles involved here.

You apparently have no income at the outset so you're going to need cash, or assets that can be quickly and easily converted into cash, to live off of until at least one of you can start earning an income. (Which could be quite some time in the current economic climate.) Money in the bank works well, and of course you have to document that you have it.

Money that's not yours and you're going to have to return to someone is useless.

Money invested in a place to live is next to useless - you need the place to live and you still need cash to buy food and pay the mortgage but you don't have any more cash.

As R and R have explained, you need a Joint Sponsor. Not only for immigration purposes, but possibly to actually give you money to keep you alive when your $30,000 runs out.

Regards, JEff

Hi everyone, while I am sure this question has been asked before. But I can't find anything! argh.

In the middle of the visa process (me a usc) and him english. How do we prove our financial worth? We don't have exactly the 56,000 dollars you need (actually we only have 30,000, depending on the exchange rate) but we have family we can borrow it off temporarily. Do we need a bank statement? or do we need many months of bank statements? Also do we have to keep it in cash form (and for how long)? We'd really like to buy a condo but don't know if it counts if we put the money toward a home?

thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You have several ways to satisfy the US gov't that your husband will not become a Public Charge (go on benefits).

1- Complete an I-864 the traditional way, with current income that will continue when you are in the US. You can go ahead to the US and get a job.

2- Make us an income deficit with assets at 3X the required income rate. You've calculated that at $56K & don't have that much.

3- Find a Joint Sponsor who will be willing to sign I-864 & keep the immigrant from becoming a Public Charge. This person can be any USC or PR 18+ who lives in the US and has sufficient income.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Meuxna, hanks for your halp
1- Complete an I-864 the traditional way, with current income that will continue when you are in the US. You can go ahead to the US and get a job.
If we have already started the procsess here. We just need to do the interview etc, can I still go ahead and get a job there will that count? How long do I need to hold employment for, do you know?

thank you!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:30 am

If we have already started the procsess here. We just need to do the interview etc, can I still go ahead and get a job there will that count? How long do I need to hold employment for, do you know?

thank you!!
Yes, you can still go to the USA and get a job ahead of the interview time. There is no set time you need to be employed, but it would be helpful if it's long enough to gather a few pay stubs and for your employer to write a letter stating your salary, and that this is a permanent position.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:36 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

s,

There's no definitive answer to this question. One needs to have adequate income 'now' (at the time the I-864 is submitted) with expectation that the current income is sustainable.

That 2nd item is highly subjective. People who have a solid employment history (e.g.few or no gaps in employment, steadily increasing income, if frequent changes of employer it was for increased responsibility and income not because fired by the previous employer) are in a stronger position than people with no or weak employment history. People who are a 'regular', 'permanent' employee are in a stronger position than people who are a consulting or contract employee.

It's not unusual for a new college graduate on their first job to be required to get a joint sponsor. (Speculation - GM employees - both blue- and white-collar - might not be considered satisfactory sponsors right now.)

Regards, JEff

How long do I need to hold employment for, do you know?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 17th 2009 at 2:39 am.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thank you!!
Yes, the I-864 is submitted at the interview, so you have until that time to get your feet under you in the US if you need.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:51 am
Just Joined

So it doesnt change the visa then? awesome. Thank you!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:01 am

So it doesnt change the visa then? awesome. Thank you!
Yay!

How do you mean it doesn't change the visa?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Because we applied while I am living in the UK (I'm a dual french/american citizen) I thought if I went home, I would have to reapply in the states, and that the visa we applied for in the UK might not be valid.. A bit lost with it all to be honest.

Sorry to ask all these questions, I am sick of calling up their 'hot line' and paying 1.25£ a minute to pay to listen to their pre recorded options only for them to say, oh we wouldn't be able to help you with that bit, sorry.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:34 am

Because we applied while I am living in the UK (I'm a dual french/american citizen) I thought if I went home, I would have to reapply in the states, and that the visa we applied for in the UK might not be valid.
No, it doesn't change the type of visa he gets, or the process he goes through to get it. Once you filed the I-130 in London, your job was done, and you are free to return to the USA. In fact, you being inside the USA and having a job which qualifies you for the I-864 actually helps the overall scenario, and makes it even easier for the ConOff to grant the Immigrant Visa to your husband.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.