The Pro's and Con's of Hitching?

Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:28 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default The Pro's and Con's of Hitching?

I'm engaged to a USC, preliminary show date July 2010.

I am over here on my own H1-B and am likely to be GC sponsored and supported by my employer.

I'm wondering whether there are any discussions/FAQs about getting a visa through my impending wife or just sticking to the job/work route? I have no ambitions to become a USC myself.

If so, please can someone point them out, I've not been able to find any.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pro's and Con's of Hitching?

Originally Posted by Dan B

I am over here on my own H1-B and am likely to be GC sponsored and supported by my employer.

I'm wondering whether there are any discussions/FAQs about getting a visa through my impending wife or just sticking to the job/work route? I have no ambitions to become a USC myself.

There are no FAQs for that.

The facts are the green card process through an H-1B is long and tedious. The process through marriage to a USC can be accomplished in as little as a year in some areas.

Your employer can start the process for your green card now if they are willing to sponsor you. Do you already have the labor certificate? If not, and your H-1B is good for several years yet and your job secure enough not to make you redundant before your marriage then start the process with the employer.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Getting to the green card happens as the result of an approved petition, and an approved adjustment application (AOS).
You have two different types of petitions becoming available to you; the employer's I-140 or the spouse's I-130.

The Immediate Relative (spouse) version is totally straight forward: if she is a USC and is married to you, that is the I-130 covered.
You probably know more about the I-140 process than I, and whether or not concurrent filing is available (where petition & AOS app go in together.. spouse method is concurrent filing).

Following the I-130 lets you off the hook with your employer, but I recall that you like them fine.
I-130 can be filed as soon as you have your marriage certificate. I don't know how soon the employer will put in I-140 for you.
I believe you could have both going at the same time (excessive IMO).
Or, one thing I've seen people post about is letting the company take advantage of your marriage; use the 'easier' Immediate Relative I-130, but the company pays for it. Saves them the lion's share of legal costs and hassle.

Your citizenship aspirations don't factor in at all; you'll be eligible after 3 years of PR status and 3 years of marriage to a USC.
Don't close your mind to this; if you're going to stay in the US, there are more benefits to naturalizing that there are for not.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have no ambitions to become a USC myself.
I doubt many Brits who have naturalized as USCs had a great ambition so to do. But it's by far the most prudent choice in most cases.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:02 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I doubt many Brits who have naturalized as USCs had a great ambition so to do. But it's by far the most prudent choice in most cases.
Thanks guys

I'll see what my HR and lawyers say too. Leaning towards the I-130 route, today anyway.