Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Proof of self-employment for I-864 Affidavit of Support

Proof of self-employment for I-864 Affidavit of Support

Old Dec 4th 2001, 6:14 am
George Strain

We're trying to complete an Adjustment of Status application for my new wife and our
daughter. When we filed or I-129 back in March I was employed by a company, but I
left that job in April to move overseas to be with my fiance until our application
was approved. Since I returned to the US at the end of September I've been working as
a self-employed software sales consultant for an overseas software company. I've got
income tax returns from the last 3 years which are very strong and very easily
qualify, and even the W-2 money I received this year for 5 months would easily
qualify. In addition I could qualify on assets, but would rather not go through this
full documentation process. On the instructions for the I-864 it states that I need
to supply:

"Evidence of current employment or self employment, such as a recent pay statement,
or a statement from your employer on business stationary, showing beginning date of
employment, type of work performed, and salary or wages paid."

Unfortunately none of these things mentioned really make a lot of sense if you are
self employed since you don't have "pay statements" or an "employer". What should I
do? Write up a letter explaining my business, perhaps including an abridged copy of
the business plan illustrating current projects and projected future projects and
income associated with this? Since my self-employment venture is pretty new I don't
have a lot of deep financial evidence on it yet, but between the business plan and my
historic earning record, is this enough? If I need to I can either go ahead and
document assets or get a co-sponser, whichever proved easier.

Thanks for any advice!

George

Old Dec 4th 2001, 11:40 am
Andy Platt

When you are self-employed you'll have to be more creative about what you provide.
Since you have not had the business for long I'm not sure if you'll have what they
need - usually you would provide some summary of the end of year accounts, etc. It
might be easier to just go the asset route.

Sorry I can't help further!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 5th 2001, 9:09 pm
George Strain

Interesting wrinkle on this. I went by the Atlanta office yesterday to pick up
originals of forms, and the package and checklist they distribute for adjustments of
status for K-1's doesn't include a new affidavit of support or the immunization
supplement. Since these were my two big question marks, I was glad to not see them on
the list. Since these seem to be the district's standards and interpretation of INS
rules, I'm leaning towards just submitting the forms and evidence they ask for, but
to be prepared to produce the additional documents in case they ask for them later.

Has anybody else seen this for the K-1 adjustments in Atlanta? Any
experiences to share?

- George

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > We're trying to complete an Adjustment of Status application for my new wife and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > our daughter. When we filed or I-129 back in March I was employed by a company,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but I left that job in April to move overseas to be with my fiance until our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application was approved. Since I returned to the US at the end of September I've[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > been working as a self-employed software sales consultant for an overseas[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > software company. I've got income tax returns from the last 3 years which are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > very strong and very easily qualify, and even the W-2 money I received this year[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for 5 months would easily qualify. In addition I could qualify on assets, but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > would rather not go through this full documentation process. On the instructions[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for the I-864 it states that I need to supply:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > "Evidence of current employment or self employment, such as a recent pay[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > statement, or a statement from your employer on business stationary, showing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > beginning date of employment, type of work performed, and salary or wages paid."[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Unfortunately none of these things mentioned really make a lot of sense if you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > are self employed since you don't have "pay statements" or an "employer". What[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > should I do? Write up a letter explaining my business, perhaps including an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > abridged copy of the business plan illustrating current projects and projected[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > future projects and income associated with this? Since my self-employment venture[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is pretty new I don't have a lot of deep financial evidence on it yet, but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > between the business plan and my historic earning record, is this enough? If I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > need to I can either go ahead and document assets or get a co-sponser, whichever[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > proved easier.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks for any advice![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > George[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 7th 2001, 12:36 am
Trudyhughes2

Hi, My husband is also self-employed, and they told me that he could include a copy
of his business name registration. Hope this helps a bit.

Best of luck.