Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Previous A# still usable when filing for DCF?

Previous A# still usable when filing for DCF?

Old May 1st 2004, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Previous A# still usable when filing for DCF?

Hello,

Just wondering if my wife's previous A# should still be used from our previous AOS on the I-130, as we had cancelled AOS and moved to the UK. Or should the A# field be left blank?

Thanks
Old May 1st 2004, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Previous A# still usable when filing for DCF?

Originally posted by infotec28
Hello,

Just wondering if my wife's previous A# should still be used from our previous AOS on the I-130, as we had cancelled AOS and moved to the UK. Or should the A# field be left blank?

Thanks
Hi:

"The answer is easy if you take it logically." Paul Simon
Old May 1st 2004, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

"The answer is easy if you take it logically." Paul Simon

Fair enough, but I was concerned that using the previous A# could cause other problems.
Old May 1st 2004, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Fair enough, but I was concerned that using the previous A# could cause other problems.
Hi:

How many "A" numbers does she have? Are you suggesting that she had more than one? How did that happen? If so, then put the ALL down.

I must admit that I find your postings extremely confusing at times.
Old May 1st 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi:

How many "A" numbers does she have? Are you suggesting that she had more than one? How did that happen? If so, then put the ALL down.

I must admit that I find your postings extremely confusing at times.
ok...to clear any confusion, we discontinued the AOS process in the United States when we came to the United Kingdom.....

She was assigned an A# before we left.

Now when I reapply for AOS (effectively) do I make mention of the previously assigned A# when it is requested on forms I.E I-130? Or is that A# now invalid as we have cancelled the AOS process?

BTW I find your responses very confusing at times as well now that you mention it.

Also, If I cannot file DCF at the consulate in London then how can I adjust status for my wife?...and how come everyone else says that I can?

Thanks

Last edited by infotec28; May 1st 2004 at 5:30 pm.
Old May 2nd 2004, 12:49 am
Account Closed

ok...to clear any confusion, we discontinued the AOS process in the United States when we came to the United Kingdom.....

She was assigned an A# before we left.

Now when I reapply for AOS (effectively) do I make mention of the previously assigned A# when it is requested on forms I.E I-130? Or is that A# now invalid as we have cancelled the AOS process?

BTW I find your responses very confusing at times as well now that you mention it.

Also, If I cannot file DCF at the consulate in London then how can I adjust status for my wife?...and how come everyone else says that I can?

Thanks
Hi:

If I understand correctly, then she has the ONE "A" number. Why do you want to hide it? I don't understand.
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi:

If I understand correctly, then she has the ONE "A" number. Why do you want to hide it? I don't understand.
Who says that I was trying to hide it? What I am trying to understand is whether or not the original A# exists due to cancellation of AOS, or is it now terminated?

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:39 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Who says that I was trying to hide it? What I am trying to understand is whether or not the original A# exists due to cancellation of AOS, or is it now terminated?

Thanks
I think it's Mr. F's way of saying you should use your wife's original A# <sigh> I'm finally convinced that he was a teacher at some point in his life
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Ranjini
I think it's Mr. F's way of saying you should use your wife's original A# <sigh> I'm finally convinced that he was a teacher at some point in his life
Hi:

Early on in this string I said:

"How many "A" numbers does she have? Are you suggesting that she had more than one? How did that happen? If so, then put the ALL down."

Infotec28's story relates that an "A" file was created for his wife -- she filed for adjustment.

A person has an "A" number or they don't. I'm a native born US citrizen, so I don't. Ranjini, as a naturalized U.S. citizen, you have an "A" number -- in fact, its on the face of your naturalization certificate.

I am fully cognizant of the fact that the immigration laws are complicated and confusing, but this one is a no-brainer. If a person has an "A" number, it should be disclosed. I still can figure out what the problem is in Infotec28's case that he would even think of hiding the number.
Old May 2nd 2004, 3:22 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Just tell them

I believe that you are asking whether or not providing them with information relating to a previous and discontinued application is likely to cause confusion. They will ask for details of all prior applications/petitions anyway and they will need the "A" number - amongst other things they will request a transfer of the file.

The consulate does not adjust your wife's status - they issue visas. The status would be adjusted at POE.
Old May 2nd 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by lairdside
Just tell them

I believe that you are asking whether or not providing them with information relating to a previous and discontinued application is likely to cause confusion. They will ask for details of all prior applications/petitions anyway and they will need the "A" number - amongst other things they will request a transfer of the file.

The consulate does not adjust your wife's status - they issue visas. The status would be adjusted at POE.
lairside-

that is exactly what i mean...will the previous mention of the prior A# cause confusion? is that number deemed (null and void) because AOS was cancelled? I guess not, thank you for all of your explanations so far.

folinskyinla

Is an A# something that is given and then terminated when AOS is cancelled? I just don't understand why you think I am trying to hide an A#? I really don't understand how you could think this could be a no brainer.

Let me repeat....I did not understand if the A# would be null and void (non-existant) simply because AOS was stopped.

a very simple question in my eyes??
Old May 2nd 2004, 5:14 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

lairside-

that is exactly what i mean...will the previous mention of the prior A# cause confusion? is that number deemed (null and void) because AOS was cancelled? I guess not, thank you for all of your explanations so far.

folinskyinla

Is an A# something that is given and then terminated when AOS is cancelled? I just don't understand why you think I am trying to hide an A#? I really don't understand how you could think this could be a no brainer.

Let me repeat....I did not understand if the A# would be null and void (non-existant) simply because AOS was stopped.

Infotec. It's their "A" number - they don't just let go of this stuff. (Excepting USCIS "black holes" - but I won't go there). I do believe that they keep people's files for seventy years !

I have heard of people being issued with new "A" numbers after being previously issued one (such as students) and others who were not.

To them the file is not complete without all relevant data and this prior I-485 inho is VERY relevant. If you see it from their perspective it really is a no brainer! Nothing you do with USCIS every goes away, it's significance may alter according to the circumstances but you're stuck with it for life (and possibly after).
Old May 2nd 2004, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

lairside-

folinskyinla

Hi:

I'm surprised that you would think that your wife's prior immigration history would be erased if it is denied. Its not -- and frequent "residents" of this list, as you happen to be know that prior immigration history is forever.

I've been doing this biz for 28 years now and I've run across people attempting to hide past history all the time -- and its annoying when I see it.

Your wife has a past immigration history and you should NOT try to hide it. I don't know how clearer I can get.
Old May 2nd 2004, 5:19 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairside-

folinskyinla

Oh, to put it simply. If someone has an alien number, they have one. if they do not, then they do not. What happens after the "A" number is assigned is of no consequence regarding that fact.

USCIS Tag - You're it!
Old May 2nd 2004, 5:26 pm
Howling at the Moon

Hi:

I'm surprised that you would think that your wife's prior immigration history would be erased if it is denied. Its not -- and frequent "residents" of this list, as you happen to be know that prior immigration history is forever.

I've been doing this biz for 28 years now and I've run across people attempting to hide past history all the time -- and its annoying when I see it.

Your wife has a past immigration history and you should NOT try to hide it. I don't know how clearer I can get.
28 years? I am surprised that you are still relatively sane. Makes me glad that I am doing mental health advocacy etc, at least I have no expectation of my clients to be either sane or rational...lol

G-d forbid that I end up with a psychologically disordered immigrant. Can I send them to you?..lol

Last edited by lairdside; May 2nd 2004 at 5:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.