Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

preparing for interview I-864 I-864a

preparing for interview I-864 I-864a

Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default preparing for interview I-864 I-864a

I was going back through my IR-1 interview preparation for London, and wondered if I will need an I-864a from my FIL.
At the moment, I have an I-864 from my husband, and an I-864 from my FIL. My FIL is basically putting forward all finances for sponsorship and all support as he single handedly meets the financial guidelines, whereas my husband and I haven't got any money other than from the 24 hour a week job that I do. We will be "staying" with my FIL and MIL when we get to the US, and for a while until we get situated ourselves.
So will he possibly be seen as a contributing household member and therefore need an I-864a, or have we got it right with the I-864's? Should I have both in my possession when I go to interview?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: preparing for interview I-864 I-864a

I got my MIL to do both just incase but it ended up I was never asked for the i-864a. If you can get it completed I'd definitely bring it just in case.

My MIL is divorced so there is just her regarding filing taxes etc so you might need to be careful as your FIL and MIL may file together, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to inform you about this.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
I got my MIL to do both just incase but it ended up I was never asked for the i-864a. If you can get it completed I'd definitely bring it just in case.

My MIL is divorced so there is just her regarding filing taxes etc so you might need to be careful as your FIL and MIL may file together, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to inform you about this.
Yes they do file together, but I have proof of his income..
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Yes they do file together, but I have proof of his income..
Look at the I-864, item #24b.

If there is a name and income filled in, then the person named completes an I-864A.

If FIL is sponsoring on his income alone, then no need to list a family member in #24b. It doesn't matter what the tax return says if FIL provides proof of his separate income with things like his W2 or letter from his employer or pay slips or pension letter/statement, or yearly Social Security statement or any other number of ways to show he qualifies with his own separate money.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moxie
Look at the I-864, item #24b.

If there is a name and income filled in, then the person named completes an I-864A.

If FIL is sponsoring on his income alone, then no need to list a family member in #24b. It doesn't matter what the tax return says if FIL provides proof of his separate income with things like his W2 or letter from his employer or pay slips or pension letter/statement, or yearly Social Security statement or any other number of ways to show he qualifies with his own separate money.
Yes he's sponsoring on his income alone, he has enough.