Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparing for citizenship application

Preparing for citizenship application

Old Apr 14th 2023, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Crux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Preparing for citizenship application

I’m considering leaving employment and starting my own small business, at the same time I would be relocating from NY to AZ.

My question for the forum is around implications of that for my upcoming citizenship application.

I’m currently a PR and April 2024 will mark the 5th anniversary of holding that status. We (DW & myself) would like to become US citizens and to try and have the process go smoothly I’m investigating if my planned location and job status changes would produce complications.

Planning on making the changes to my employment & location at the end of 2023.

Since obtaining PR status I have stayed with the same employer that sponsored us, and maintained the same address. I have enough assets to support myself while the business establishes and a full tax record.

Any issues you can foresee if I apply from Arizona in early 2025 without a salaried job and having just relocated?

Cheers for any advice!

Old Apr 14th 2023, 1:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for citizenship application

Job, employment and income have no bearing on a citizenship application, none whatsoever, literally zero.

The only practical point I would make to ensure, as best you can, that you have a home address that won't change during the application process. I mean, you could change your address, but it is easier and better to avoid doing so if reasonably possible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 14th 2023 at 1:35 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2023, 2:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

ICE has posted this link which appears to address the one issue your post raises. Do note that government internet postings are not law.
Old Apr 14th 2023, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Crux is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I’ll definitely take account of the three month residency requirement.
Old Apr 15th 2023, 5:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Job, employment and income have no bearing on a citizenship application, none whatsoever, literally zero.

The only practical point I would make to ensure, as best you can, that you have a home address that won't change during the application process. I mean, you could change your address, but it is easier and better to avoid doing so if reasonably possible.
Actually there is one issue but OP has addressed it. It is problematical when OP arrives on an EB immigrant visa and nevers the job the visa was based upon
Old Apr 15th 2023, 11:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The issue of money isn't a matter discussed or needs to be proven at the time of applying for naturalization or during the interview. The 3 month residency rule has been in effect as long as I can remember and I'm here for over 20 years. Be sure that you do not mail or electronically post your N-400 before the 90 day eligibility window. To do so voids/invalidates the application as you are not eligible. And no, the filing fee is not refundable.

What age were you when you emigrated? If under 26, you should have applied for Selective Service. If you were 26 or over, not a problem.