Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Possibly exceeding 90 days of visa waiver?

Possibly exceeding 90 days of visa waiver?

Old May 21st 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

johanvg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly exceeding 90 days of visa waiver?

I entered the United States on April 1 at 3:45 PM but interestingly the homeland security check was done in Dublin on the same day sometime before the plane left at 1:50 PM. I looked into flights back to Belgium today and the only acceptably priced one is an Aer Lingus flight departing from Tampa on June 29 at 10:25 AM, with a single stop in Boston, where I will be arriving at 1:21 PM and leaving for Dublin at 6 PM.

Will I exceed my 90 day stay on the VWP if I book this flight?
Old May 21st 2009, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly exceeding 90 days of visa waiver?

Originally Posted by johanvg
I entered the United States on April 1 at 3:45 PM but interestingly the homeland security check was done in Dublin on the same day sometime before the plane left at 1:50 PM. I looked into flights back to Belgium today and the only acceptably priced one is an Aer Lingus flight departing from Tampa on June 29 at 10:25 AM, with a single stop in Boston, where I will be arriving at 1:21 PM and leaving for Dublin at 6 PM.

Is the price difference really that much between this flight, and one a day earlier?? If it were me, I'd pay the extra $$$ and leave a day or two earlier, just to make sure.

Rene
Old May 21st 2009, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

June 29th is before midnight of June 30 is it not? Also, is not June 30, 2009 expiry on your I-94W?
Old May 21st 2009, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Is the price difference really that much between this flight, and one a day earlier?? If it were me, I'd pay the extra $$$ and leave a day or two earlier, just to make sure.

Rene
Hi:

It seems to me that he is asking if a stay of 89 days violates the 90 day limit. Am I missing something?
Old May 21st 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

April 1 to April 30: 30 days
May 1 to May 31: 31 days
June 1 to June 29: 29 days

Total: 90 days

Furthermore, I would be departing a few hours later than when I arrived on April 1 and they might regard that as another day?
Old May 21st 2009, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

April 1 to April 30: 30 days
May 1 to May 31: 31 days
June 1 to June 29: 29 days

Total: 90 days

Furthermore, I would be departing a few hours later than when I arrived on April 1 and they might regard that as another day?
Hi:

You have me very confused. You keep saying you ARRIVED on April 1st. April has only 30 days in it, no? So you stayed 29 days in April, 31 days in May for a total of 60 days. 90 minus 60 = 30. June 30th it is.

And what does your I-94W say on it? The stamp should have an admission date and an expiry date.

"We can add." Willie Brown.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What is the date written/staped on the I-94W card in your passport.
Leave by that day.

Otherwise, use a date calculator to do it your way. google.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the return ticket your visa waiver required
Old May 21st 2009, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Nothing but Apr 1 2009 is stamped on the I-94.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Then you need to leave by June 30, end of story. Keep in mind that you are cutting it close, so if there are any delays, and the flight is cancelled, or you are stuck (i.e. due to weather) and can't leave, you risk overstaying. An overstay of 1 day means that you are not eligible to use the VWP again.
Old May 21st 2009, 6:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you are onboard the plane on June 29th and your I-94 was returned at check-in.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

OK -- usually the admission date is stamped and then a handwritten date after the stamped word "until" will appear.

But given April 1, 2009 as the admission date -- therefore you must depart on or before June 30, 2009 -- 90 days after admission.

Again -- April has 30 days -- 29 days
May has 31 days -- 31 days
June has 30 days -- 30 days

Accordingly -- if you are in the US on July 1, 2009 -- you've got problems.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

I managed to find a flight from Tampa to Dublin leaving on June 28 with a single, one hour and a half stop in Philadelphia for only $326 (239 euro).

I will have to wait another 9 hours or so in Dublin until the next flight to Brussels will depart though. On the plus side the flight is free, in the sense that I will only have to pay the fees and taxes, which amount to $45 (33 euro).

Better to be safe than sorry, as my fiancee and others here pointed out.