Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Possible return to USA.. Visa questions

Possible return to USA.. Visa questions

Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice
Default Possible return to USA.. Visa questions

Hi all,

Brief history... We came to the USA in 2007, my husband had a L1B visa and me and my son were on L2 I believe.. we spent 3 years there than we had to option to extend for 2 years or move out of the country for 1 year before we can return, The attorney the company hired said it wasn't possible to get green cards in that period..

Any way

We are now at the end of our one year out of the country and my husbands company is asking for us to return..

I presume it will be under the same Visa as last time.. My questions are.

Is it possible to apply for Green cards on these Visa's.
If so at what point on our return can they apply for Green cards
and what is the waiting period for approval on average.

I loved our time in the USA, however a little concerned returning if we can only stay for 3 - 5 years as my oldest son is now 7 years old and needs to be settled with schools.

Thank you
Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible return to USA.. Visa questions

Very good questions. However, the answer to these questions can be quite fact specific.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryff31
Is it possible to apply for Green cards on these Visa's.
The L-1 sponsor must start the process on your behalf. You can't start the process on your own.

If so at what point on our return can they apply for Green cards and what is the waiting period for approval on average.
They can start the process the day you arrive in the US. This would have been true 3 years ago also! As for how long it takes... well, the sooner they start the better - because it'll likely take years. I suggest that a specific date for starting the process be part of your husband's negotiations with the company. You want it in writing before you move!

Ian
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Thank you for the replies..

My husband is meeting with management next week to draft a proposal so at least we can try to get some assurances this time. just wanted to check that it was possible to apply straight away.. so it doesn't seem were asking the impossible.

Thanks again
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Normally the time it takes to get approval for a green card after application is primarily based on whether the visa is a L1A or L1B and/or his EB classification.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably want to get in touch with your own lawyer, to go over your options so that you understand them properly because it sounded like you received bad advice before hand.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryff31
My husband is meeting with management next week to draft a proposal so at least we can try to get some assurances this time.
He should never forget that the company's lawyer works for the company... not for him. If the lawyer drags his feet, it's because that's what he's been told to do.

Bob's advice is golden!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 12th 2011 at 12:27 am.