Possible problem with Green Card?

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 1:37 am
Lisac77

Hi all. Haven't posted in a while, due to internet difficulties. In these days of
what is now commonly known as "The Aftermath" I can't help but worry about those
immigrants who are awaiting green cards and whose origins lie with those countries
that the US has deemed "terrorist-harboring." My husband and I are in that very
situation. He is from Iran, and although he swears Iran is not a terrorist country,
we know that the US has a different opinion. My husband is not a terrorist and does
not agree to any form of terrorism. Does anyone here see a potential problem with the
US issuing Green Cards at the interview just because a person is from a so-called
terrorist country? Our interview should be within a few months (we hope!) and we are
worried potential problems. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Best of luck to all.

Lisa and Reza

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 1:40 am
Betastar

Your interview might be a little rough, but as long as he has no record then I can't
see them discriminating against him. (If they do, sue!) He's an individual, not part
of the government of Iran, not an "enemy" himself.

Of course, this is just opinion and speculation, but if they do start denying people
because of their country of origin, I for one will be mighty pissed off!

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:37:58 GMT, "lisac77" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 3:24 am
Steve

I don't think you would have any problem. The INS does the FBI/CIA check which I am
sure would indicate if there were any problems. They do have to follow the law and
unless there was some problem with your husbands background they would have no reason
to deny a GC.

Even in those countries who do "harbor terrorists" the US Gov't knows that
99.9% of the people ARE NOT terrorists. He might experience a little more "scrutiny"
in the local community, but I hope not.

Best wishes!

>
these
    >
worry
    >
    >
    >
he
    >
different
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 11:37 am
Andy Platt

Something I speculated on last week is that they may stop granting permanent
residence without having the CIA checks back. It seems to me that this, and perhaps
pushing more on the "terrorist" question, are all that is somewhat likely.

I once knew somebody of Iranian descent who acted very much like a terrorist
towards me. I had "stolen" his girlfriend though so perhaps that was something to
do with it

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
these
    >
worry
    >
    >
    >
he
    >
different
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 4:16 pm
Lisac77

Ha, Ha Andy!

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like this is pretty much up in the air, as we
expected. The problem is, in the revolution of '79 he was part of a group that could
be construed as terrorist, but it was only until he graduated high school, he was 17
at the time. The US government already knows about this and has pardoned him (so to
speak). The FBI also knows, as he told them directly, and they certainly haven't been
beating down our door, so we're crossing our fingers.

Again, best of luck to everyone.

Lisa

>
permanent
    >
and
    >
    >
    >
terrorist
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all. Haven't posted in a while, due to internet difficulties. In[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > days of what is now commonly known as "The Aftermath" I can't help but[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > about those immigrants who are awaiting green cards and whose origins[/usenetquote2]
lie
[usenetquote2]> > with those countries that the US has deemed "terrorist-harboring." My husband and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I are in that very situation. He is from Iran, and although[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > swears Iran is not a terrorist country, we know that the US has a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > opinion. My husband is not a terrorist and does not agree to any form[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > terrorism. Does anyone here see a potential problem with the US issuing Green[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Cards at the interview just because a person is from a so-called terrorist[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > country? Our interview should be within a few months (we[/usenetquote2]
hope!)
[usenetquote2]> > and we are worried potential problems. Any thoughts would be[/usenetquote2]
appreciated!
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Best of luck to all.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Lisa and Reza[/usenetquote2]