Possible Problem

Old Dec 19th 2002, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Greenspan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible Problem

Hi

We are in a fix I think. My Fiance and her little boy who resides in Kenya has received her packet from the US Embassy directing her to take the Medical Exam and collect the Police Report, etc. When I was there visiting last week, we went for the medical exam. The little boy has a hearing problem and was fitted with hearing aids by the Audiologist when I was there visiting.

In the DS 156 Supplement (the Embassy requires this to be filled in), on line 18 item A, talks about aliens who are mentally retarded or with mental defects along with a variety of other ailments as being ineligible to receive a Visa.

The Embassy approved Doctor is aware of his hearing loss and has asked for letters from the Ear Nose Throat Dr and the Audiologist as well as his Pediatrician. In the one letter by the ENT Dr, he speaks of the little boy being mentally retarded. His language is describing the condition as the little boy can't talk yet due to the hearing loss. He isn't saying he is "mentally retarded" as such. However, it could be read that way. The little boy has "moderate to severe" hearing loss. The Audiologist wrote a letter stating he should progress fine now with the hearing aids. The Embassy Doctor has this letter, but not the one from the ENT Dr YET as I told her to not to forward this letter with the words "mentally retarded" until I seek legal advice.

I've sent this information to a local attorney but she is young and I am looking for any input that I can find, thus my post here at this time. If there are any experts who have dealt with a matter such as this, your comments will be much appreciated.

Alan May
Old Dec 19th 2002, 6:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Problem

Have her or you, yourself, go back to the ENT Physician and get another letter without the reference to the child being mentally retarded. He is not mentally retarded but hearing disabled. If the ENT Dr. will not comply by issuing a letter without the MR reference, find another one to exam the boy. It might be that he does not know how to properly describe the effects a hearing loss has on a young child which, if not diagnosed early, will lead to lack of speech. The pediatrician's and audiologist's letters will help in confirming that his condition is not one of inability to learn but a case of delayed learning due to a previously undiagnosed medical condition which has been corrected.

I'm hearing disabled as well and am not retarded (contrary to the opinions of some) and have a college degree (3.65 index) to prove it.

Rita

Originally posted by Greenspan
Hi

We are in a fix I think. My Fiance and her little boy who resides in Kenya has received her packet from the US Embassy directing her to take the Medical Exam and collect the Police Report, etc. When I was there visiting last week, we went for the medical exam. The little boy has a hearing problem and was fitted with hearing aids by the Audiologist when I was there visiting.

In the DS 156 Supplement (the Embassy requires this to be filled in), on line 18 item A, talks about aliens who are mentally retarded or with mental defects along with a variety of other ailments as being ineligible to receive a Visa.

The Embassy approved Doctor is aware of his hearing loss and has asked for letters from the Ear Nose Throat Dr and the Audiologist as well as his Pediatrician. In the one letter by the ENT Dr, he speaks of the little boy being mentally retarded. His language is describing the condition as the little boy can't talk yet due to the hearing loss. He isn't saying he is "mentally retarded" as such. However, it could be read that way. The little boy has "moderate to severe" hearing loss. The Audiologist wrote a letter stating he should progress fine now with the hearing aids. The Embassy Doctor has this letter, but not the one from the ENT Dr YET as I told her to not to forward this letter with the words "mentally retarded" until I seek legal advice.

I've sent this information to a local attorney but she is young and I am looking for any input that I can find, thus my post here at this time. If there are any experts who have dealt with a matter such as this, your comments will be much appreciated.

Alan May
Old Dec 19th 2002, 8:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Problem

Originally posted by Rete
I'm hearing disabled as well and am not retarded (contrary to the opinions of some) and have a college degree (3.65 index) to prove it.

Rita
heheheh, Rete, you're the only reason I hang around here anymore <g>

To the OP: if you want a second opinion from the ether, I think Rete's given you *very* good advice.
mo