Possibilities of moving to USA

Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Richy19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibilities of moving to USA

First of all just wanted to say hi to everyone, just joined

I just wondered what are the possibilities of moving to the USA?
Im currently in the UK with no degree (however hoping to start uni after summer)

If I got a degree it would be in computer science so I dont know if that would be considered as a needed trade as America has loads of computer scientists.

I dont have any immediate USC family I do however have close family friends and other family members in the USA but I doubt these count.

Also I noticed they dont consider you for the green card lottery if your from the UK, however I was born in Spain meaning I have dual nationality.

So I was wondering if my only real option for moving is tto get a job at a large company that might have a USA branch, or if Spain is considered for the green card lottery
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibilities of moving to USA

Originally Posted by Richy19
I just wondered what are the possibilities of moving to the USA?
Right now, slim to none... but all is not lost.

If I got a degree it would be in computer science so I dont know if that would be considered as a needed trade as America has loads of computer scientists.
There are, literally, thousands of unemployed CS workers currently in the US who already have a degree and don't need a US company to spend $$$ to sponsor them... and they can start work tomorrow if asked.

I dont have any immediate USC family I do however have close family friends and other family members in the USA but I doubt these count.
You're correct... they don't count.

Also I noticed they dont consider you for the green card lottery if your from the UK, however I was born in Spain meaning I have dual nationality.
If Spain is eligible for the "diversity visa" lottery (hint = Google is your friend), then apply. Nationality is irrelevant... what matters is where you were born.

So I was wondering if my only real option for moving is tto get a job at a large company that might have a USA branch, or if Spain is considered for the green card lottery
Those seem to be your two most viable choices. Go for it.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Richy19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Right now, slim to none... but all is not lost.

There are, literally, thousands of unemployed CS workers currently in the US who already have a degree and don't need a US company to spend $$$ to sponsor them... and they can start work tomorrow if asked.

You're correct... they don't count.

If Spain is eligible for the "diversity visa" lottery (hint = Google is your friend), then apply. Nationality is irrelevant... what matters is where you were born.

Those seem to be your two most viable choices. Go for it.

Ian
Hi, thanks for that Ian.
looked around and found this which doesnt show Spain as a country that cant apply
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for that Ian.
looked around and found this which doesnt show Spain as a country that cant apply
Spain is explicitly mentioned as an eligible country on page 15. Good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I knew that when I posted... I wanted you to do some research! You'll learn more that way!

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the wiki up top - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

shows the most common ways in....looks like the lottery is your best bet at the moment, got nothing to lose by applying when it opens up as it doesn't cost you anything unless you get selected.

You don't mention what if any experience you have for work, so if you have 12 years of experience, that would be equivalent to a degree, but a degree is so common for comp sci work that unless you had really niche skills, you'd have very slim chances...even with a degree that still applies.

Good luck
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

You don't mention what if any experience you have for work, so if you have 12 years of experience, that would be equivalent to a degree, but a degree is so common for comp sci work that unless you had really niche skills, you'd have very slim chances...even with a degree that still applies.
It doesn't hurt though. I have 29 years experience in IT, certifications out of my ears, published articles and a degree in......theoretical physics. Even now, I don't get contracts because of having no Comp. Sci. degree. I could get off my arse and get one, but I get by OK.
Quite often I get asked if I know Stephen Hawking though
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is eligible for the lottery and you can apply and claim chargeability to Spain, but unless you have other Spanish ties you haven't told us about, you're not a Spanish citizen.

Birth in Spain, on its own, does not make you a Spanish citizen.