Police Records Question

Old May 9th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

SamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to all
Default Police Records Question

I am a US citizen and when my fiance, who is a British Citizen, came to the United States on a visit to me, he was arrested and charged with a crime. The case never went to court and it was dismissed because he was innocent. Do I need to send him a copy of his police record from the US so he can bring it with him to the K-1 visa interview? Also, when the case was ongoing, he overstayed his visit (on a visa wavier) to take care of the court problems and left two days after it was dropped. Will either him overstaying or being arrested, but not convicted, effect his being denied or approved for a visa?

Thanks,
Samra
Old May 9th 2007, 10:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Records Question

Originally Posted by SamraLee
I am a US citizen and when my fiance, who is a British Citizen, came to the United States on a visit to me, he was arrested and charged with a crime. The case never went to court and it was dismissed because he was innocent. Do I need to send him a copy of his police record from the US so he can bring it with him to the K-1 visa interview? Also, when the case was ongoing, he overstayed his visit (on a visa wavier) to take care of the court problems and left two days after it was dropped. Will either him overstaying or being arrested, but not convicted, effect his being denied or approved for a visa?

Thanks,
Samra
Might not be a bad idea to send him his police record from the USA (if you can get it), in case they ask for it at his interview. He should check "yes" to any question regarding arrest, and give an explanation of what happened. Whether that affects his eligibility, probably only the Consular Officer can make that determination. If you aren't able to get his police record, it's OK. USCIS will conduct its own security checks and record checks. But it might be helpful for him to have something to show at the interview, if asked.

The 2-day overstay should not affect his K-1 visa.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 9th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

NOLA_Dave is on a distinguished road

Not to be picky, but I think the OP's fiance had an overstay longer than 2 days. She said he left 2 days after he got everything taken care of, but didn't mention how long he was out of status while he was taking care of it.

Which begs the obvious question: Exactly how long did he overstay?
Old May 9th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

He should file to have his record expunged if the case was never brought to trial.
Old May 9th 2007, 11:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave
Not to be picky, but I think the OP's fiance had an overstay longer than 2 days. She said he left 2 days after he got everything taken care of, but didn't mention how long he was out of status while he was taking care of it.

Which begs the obvious question: Exactly how long did he overstay?
Good catch. If he overstayed too long, he faces a ban from the USA, and must then apply for a waiver.

Rene
Old May 10th 2007, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

SamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to allSamraLee is a name known to all

He overstayed for a month and 15 days. His lawyer said that while he was here he could protect him from immigration, but when he left we were worried about his overstay.

Thanks for all your feedback,
Samra
Old May 10th 2007, 4:56 pm
Capt. Tuttle

violator_dm wrote:
>>Not to be picky, but I think the OP's fiance had an overstay longer
>>than 2 days. She said he left 2 days after he got everything taken
>>care of, but didn't mention how long he was out of status while he was
>>taking care of it.
>>
>>Which begs the obvious question: Exactly how long did he overstay?
>
>
> He should file to have his record expunged if the case was never
> brought to trial.
>

That will not change the answer to the question, "Have you ever been
arrested?"