Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police Certificate Needed to AOS from VWP?

Police Certificate Needed to AOS from VWP?

Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:32 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police Certificate Needed to AOS from VWP?

As instructed by meauxna I am starting a new thread:

Is police clearance needed in order to AOS from VWP?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Certificate Needed to AOS from VWP?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

Everything I've read indicates that AOS from other visa/visa-free types do not require a police check from the home country.
Of course, since we went on a visa route that did not require Adjustment of Status, I can't say from personal experience.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:41 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know from personal experience, just what several others told me the other day in THIS THREAD -- start with post #8.

My suggestion would be to consult with a good immigration attorney to be sure you're getting the right information.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:49 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't know from personal experience, just what several others told me the other day in THIS THREAD -- start with post #8.

My suggestion would be to consult with a good immigration attorney to be sure you're getting the right information.

~ Jenney
Thanks that is interesting but the thread seems to be saying that police clearance isn't required for AOS not specifically AOS from VWP. Whereas my AOS interview letter specifically requested police clearance be brought with me to interview.

I don't think I'll bother with the expense of consulting an attorney for the sake of idle curiosity. I'm not going to be acting on the advice. Just as well since it appears to be conflicting.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that is interesting but the thread seems to be saying that police clearance isn't required for AOS not specifically AOS from VWP. Whereas my AOS interview letter specifically requested police clearance be brought with me to interview.

I don't think I'll bother with the expense of consulting an attorney for the sake of idle curiosity. I'm not going to be acting on the advice. Just as well since it appears to be conflicting.
It could be, as it is with many things, that there is a different policy in your office, compared to other offices. I don't know why AOS from the VWP would be coded differently, or have different requirements than any other AOS.
AOS is AOS is AOS.

What is it exactly that your letter says?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:02 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by meauxna
It could be, as it is with many things, that there is a different policy in your office, compared to other offices.
I wasn't aware that different offices sent out different interview letters. Is that the case?

I don't know why AOS from the VWP would be coded differently, or have different requirements than any other AOS.
AOS is AOS is AOS.
My thoughts exactly.

What is it exactly that your letter says?
If you have ever been arrested, bring the related Police Report and the original or certified Final Court Disposition for each arrest, even if the charges have been dismissed or expunged. If no court record is available, bring a letter from the court with jurisdiction indicating this.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:05 am

If you have ever been arrested, bring the related Police Report and the original or certified Final Court Disposition for each arrest, even if the charges have been dismissed or expunged. If no court record is available, bring a letter from the court with jurisdiction indicating this.
Well there is a clear difference right there.
"If you have ever been arrested"

From the way your posts were worded, it read as if you were referring to the Police Certificate that visa applicants are (mostly) required to order.

This is asking for the disposition on any arrests.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:09 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

But if you don't have a conviction you must bring a letter indicating that there is no record of you having a conviction?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:18 am

But if you don't have a conviction you must bring a letter indicating that there is no record of you having a conviction?
That's what it says.

What's in question?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

That's what it says.

What's in question?
There are several posts including your own stating that a Police Certificate is not required in order to AOS.

How else would you satisfy the evidence they are asking for in the interview letter?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:27 am

There are several posts including your own stating that a Police Certificate is not required in order to AOS.

How else would you satisfy the evidence they are asking for in the interview letter?
From the way your posts were worded, it read as if you were referring to the Police Certificate that visa applicants are (mostly) required to order.

Edit to add: Apparently it needs clarifying that one should bring to an interview everything requested.
And, that your whole line of questions tonight seems argumentative for no good reason.
Unless you'd care to share the reason so I can decide if it's a good reason or not.

Last edited by meauxna; Jan 14th 2006 at 6:30 am.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:42 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

How is that different?

Edit to add: Apparently it needs clarifying that one should bring to an interview everything requested.
And, that your whole line of questions tonight seems argumentative for no good reason.
Unless you'd care to share the reason so I can decide if it's a good reason or not.
I'm sorry but I think that's uncalled for. It seems to have been sparked by my questioning on another thread. You suggested I start another thread which I did.

I have read threads whereby you and other posters are stating that a Police Certificate is not required. I have an interview letter that requests something, you at least, were not aware of. To my mind a Police Certificate would be required to satisfy that requirement. Since the letter also asks for a letter indicating that you have no court record then in the UK at least a Police Certificate would be the only way of proving this.

As far as I am concerned it is a legitimate query that needs clarifying, reason enough I should think.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:52 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

I adjusted after an overstay on the VWP and even though my interview letter requested a police record I did not provide one and was not questioned on it. I would think the main issue here would be how long you have been in the US on the VWP. Due to my overstay a home country police record was not possible and the FBI checks I would presume would turn up any serious records in the absence of presenting a police record.
Patrick
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:54 am

I have read threads whereby you and other posters are stating that a Police Certificate is not required. I have an interview letter that requests something, you at least, were not aware of. To my mind a Police Certificate would be required to satisfy that requirement. Since the letter also asks for a letter indicating that you have no court record then in the UK at least a Police Certificate would be the only way of proving this.

As far as I am concerned it is a legitimate query that needs clarifying, reason enough I should think.
Perhaps it is a problem of definition WRT "Police Certificate" because I do not agree that a Police Certificate (that you would order for a visa application) is the same thing you would use to show the disposition of your arrest. I base that on reports from other users who had arrests w/o conviction and whose Police Certificate came back clear (no arrests/no convictions). The people were required to get a separate letter from the court in addition to their Police Certificate.

From your interview letter:
"bring a letter from the court with jurisdiction indicating this."

Time's gotten too late for me; see you later in the weekend.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
I adjusted after an overstay on the VWP and even though my interview letter requested a police record I did not provide one and was not questioned on it. I would think the main issue here would be how long you have been in the US on the VWP. Due to my overstay a home country police record was not possible and the FBI checks I would presume would turn up any serious records in the absence of presenting a police record.
Patrick
hey Patrick! Long time
Did your interview letter request a Police Certificate in general, or the language was similar to CB's, with the "If you have been arrested"?
And, if you don't mind sharing, would you have fallen under that stipulation? And if you did, the interviewing officer did not ask, or mention it (clarifying what you said happened in your interview).
Sorry I can't hang out to chat; I'll check in in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.