Point of Entry papers

Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

bombostarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Point of Entry papers

What papers and questions am I subject when I enter the US Point of Entry (border)?
I am a 20yr male, I have my mother (u.s. rezident) and stepfather (u.s. citizen); I've had a K2(dependent of parent) visa in the past, stayed in the States 10 months then returned back home for my family. Then I acquired a 10 years b1/b2 visitor visa so that I can visit my parents.
My last visit to the States was a 1 month vacation December 2006 - January 2007 but at that time I was minor. My visa is still valid 'till +2014-2015 (not sure);
Ok so now I am adult, I read everywhere that at the point of entry you have to prove somehow you're going back or something like that. The only thing I have here is my family and 2 owned cars, I'm not working and my studies are on Pause for the moment.
Should I expect dificulties at Entry because I want to spend ~5-6months with my family ?
My family is sponsoring everything, it will be a waste to loose a 2-way ticket..

sorry for my bad english, i will provide more information if needed and if somebody is kind enough to advise me!

PS: i found your website google-ing; i am romanian citizen, so if this is a "English-British-man" only forum sorry for the disturbance!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Point of Entry papers

If they question you are the POE, what you need to provide is some documentation that shows your ties to your country. When you say your family I am assuming due to your age that it is not a wife and children. If your mother is in the US then they might be concerned. However, you really should have something to prove you need to return to your own country.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Yes when I say family I mean Father, Grandmothers, Grandfathers/Etc, no brothers/sisters/wife/children. I was hoping that I had some kind of credibility 'cause I had the chance to actually become a rezident at a certain time in the past, also, i never over-stayed or something like that.. as other info., the marriage between my mother and stepfather occurred when I was 13-14yrs, my mother was anyway rezident... It's not some "visa scam" thing .. I hope you know what I mean. And also, furthermore, it's a real family visit which unfortunately i cannot prove
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, all those things will count in your favor. The fact that you didn't become a US resident might or might not be a deal breaker. You had the opportunity, didn't take it, left the country, found that you wanted to be back in the US, so here you are. Now that is what one agent at the POE might think. Will they all think that way? No and they might not even ask you anything other than why you are visiting and how long you plan to stay. BTW how long is your trip for?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Mainly we wanted to be around 5-6 months; now that I've found out about these pesky border officers having so many questions I am thinking 4 months. But they are too much crazy if they think I represent a potential risk, I mean, again, If I wanted something my family could just petition for me and end of story! Am I wrong ?

I just don't understand how can someone live & work in the USA without proper papers, how on earth is that possible ? )

edit: and also it's been 4 yrs from my last visit.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bombostarr
Mainly we wanted to be around 5-6 months; now that I've found out about these pesky border officers having so many questions I am thinking 4 months. But they are too much crazy if they think I represent a potential risk, I mean, again, If I wanted something my family could just petition for me and end of story! Am I wrong ?

I just don't understand how can someone live & work in the USA without proper papers, how on earth is that possible ? )

Unfortunately, the POE agent's job is to suspect everyone of immigrant intent...it's up to you to prove you don't intend to immigrate. Also unfortunately, a father and some grandparents are not very strong ties to your home country, now that you're an adult.

In your favor is the fact that you didn't immigrate in the past when you could have, and also that it's been so long since your last visit.

All you can do is show up at the POE and try.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:45 pm
Concierge

Who is "we"?

You might not understand how it is done but it is done each and every day and by people who have been here in the US for years.

No one is saying you will have problems but just telling you that you "might". You are young and with a job, school, or commitments in Romania. Now if you told me that you and your grandparents were visiting together then that betters the odds in your favor.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

"we" it's me & my family from the States (stepfather&mother).
No unfortunately I'm visiting alone, like my past visit. This sure is a strange situation, I just really ain't got something to show them.. I'm sure letters from family don't count a bit.. useless

later edit: awkward question, if they deny me at the point of entry could they at least let me see my parents for a couple of minutes ? (they'll be in the airport waiting) I mean it would be a shame to loose the ticket and not even see the loved ones for a couple of min's.

Last edited by bombostarr; Sep 5th 2010 at 8:57 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

"later edit: awkward question, if they deny me at the point of entry could they at least let me see my parents for a couple of minutes ? (they'll be in the airport waiting) I mean it would be a shame to loose the ticket and not even see the loved ones for a couple of min's.
There's really just no way of knowing what they will do or allow at the POE.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Unfortunately, there are never any guarantees that a non-US citizen will be allowed entry into the US by the border agents at the US Ports of Entry.
The border agents are to a large extent all-powerful and if one is unfortunate to encounter a border agent in a grumpy mood, he or she can deny you entry more or less on a whim.
It doesn´t happen often, but it happens.

Perhaps you might try flying out from Dublin International Airport in Ireland, where there is a United States pre-clearance facility. This means that you go through US immigration and customs controls before actually boarding the aircraft to the US.
Should you for some reason not be allowed entry into the US, at least you won´t be on the other side of the ocean, 6-9 hours away or more.
Just a suggestion.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
Perhaps you might try flying out from Dublin International Airport in Ireland, where there is a United States pre-clearance facility. This means that you go through US immigration and customs controls before actually boarding the aircraft to the US.
Should you for some reason not be allowed entry into the US, at least you won´t be on the other side of the ocean, 6-9 hours away or more.
Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. (But I'm clean, it's not fair but you're right tho', better like that then flying over the ocean again )

edit: Yes, and also you are right, I am aware that there is no guarantee and I fully understand this, every country has it's laws. But I think I'll do what Noorah101 suggested, I'm gonna present myself at the POE and be honest, whatever the conclusion will be - c'est la vie -

Last edited by bombostarr; Sep 5th 2010 at 9:35 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna present myself at the POE and be honest, whatever the conclusion will be - c'est la vie -
If you're interested in living/working in the US, your stepfather can still sponsor you for an immigrant visa.

Ian