POE - what to expect?

Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute
Default POE - what to expect?

Hi,

I'm planning on making my move to the US before the end of December, can I solicit some advice on what to expect at POE?

I'm assuming I go through the resident/citizen/new immigrant channel until I get to the immigration officer and inform them of my visa and intent to remain, then go through biometrics and interview etc. Can anyone give me more detail on what to expect, general questions asked, preparation etc?

thanks!
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE - what to expect?

What visa?
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugilation
Hi,

I'm planning on making my move to the US before the end of December, can I solicit some advice on what to expect at POE?

I'm assuming I go through the resident/citizen/new immigrant channel until I get to the immigration officer and inform them of my visa and intent to remain, then go through biometrics and interview etc. Can anyone give me more detail on what to expect, general questions asked, preparation etc?

thanks!
If anything like Canada all airports will differ. Some have lines for US citizens, PR cardholders and residents. Legally on arrival you are still a visitor so you should be using that line. When you hand over your passport to the officer in the Inspection line they will probably refer you to another office (secondary examination) for your documentation to be completed. as long as you have all of your documentation its quite a painless procedure unless there are a few hundred ahead of you in line
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
What visa?
Pugilation is arriving on a K-1 visa.

You will go through the non-USC line. You'll hand over the sealed envelope to the first POE agent you see. He will do whatever he needs to do with it and with you, and then send you to secondary. They will do whatever they need to do with the paperwork and with you (nothing scary), and send you on your way.

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In the absence of any other alternative, do what Noorah said, but there is almost always someone in the immigration hall walking around "directing traffic", so you should ask them and they will direct you appropriately.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming I go through the resident/citizen/new immigrant channel until I get to the immigration officer and inform them of my visa and intent to remain, then go through biometrics and interview etc.
I do not recall ever seeing a "new immigrant" channel. You are non citizen, non resident. Hand over what ever is asked for, answer whatever questions are asked, go where ever they ask you to go. No need to declare your intention to remain.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I did a K1, albeit 11 years ago. I'm sure with the new automated lines it's different now but I went through the Non-US citizen/residents line, handed my passport with the visa in it, gave them the brown envelope and then sat in secondary for 45 minutes or so while they sorted out my paperwork, which turned out to be just the EAD application and instructions for what to do when we got married.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be travelling on the K1 next week.

Luckily I've been able to make my final destination my POE to the USA.

If this isn't possible for you then make sure there is plenty of times between flights. I've gave my other half the worst case scenario of being a couple hours trying to clear the border.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

If this isn't possible for you then make sure there is plenty of times between flights. I've gave my other half the worst case scenario of being a couple hours trying to clear the border.
Oh yeah, forgot to touch on that. I had a connecting flight, but with a 4 hour layover, so I had plenty of time once Stateside to do my stuff.

Then the flight was delayed a further 4 hours due to weather. Yay.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

The answer really is how long is a piece of string, I came into LAX on a CR-1 went to the normal non US citizen line, didn't even visit secondary, the Officer dealt with my paperwork at the desk, I was there maybe 5-10 mins longer than the normal.
We hear experiences from others on here that the process was longer.
I would imagine LAX has a high number to deal with and are used to the process.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I do not recall ever seeing a "new immigrant" channel.
There is one (or at least for those arriving on a new visa) at SFO. Only airport I've heard of one.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
There is one (or at least for those arriving on a new visa) at SFO. Only airport I've heard of one.
There certainly was one at SFO, going back at least 20 years - I can't say that I have noticed it on recent trips but then again I wasn't looking for it - my recollection is that it used to be on the extreme right hand side of the CBP area.

I think that I also saw one at JFK once, but that was a long time ago.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I think that I also saw one at JFK once, but that was a long time ago.
When I immigrated on a spousal visa through JFK five, nearly six now, years ago, there was a dedicated "new immigrants" secondary processing area but we went through the USC primary line. However, that was probably because my wife asked the directing person if we could go through her line together.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be doing the same, flying into Houston and getting picked up by the missus once I clear.

Thanks all, sounds reasonably straightforward, it's getting close now!
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll be doing the same, flying into Houston and getting picked up by the missus once I clear.

Thanks all, sounds reasonably straightforward, it's getting close now!
Safe travels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.