POE Mexico

Old Jan 14th 2002, 11:24 pm
Toni B

As many of you may know, my husband's I-212 has been approved and we are now awaiting
his interview in Guatemala. I was thinking about flying down there one way and then
traveling by land through Mexico as sort of an adventure for us coming home together.
What is the point of entry experience on the border in Mexico? Can he be processed
there as well as coming into an airport POE?

Old Jan 14th 2002, 11:42 pm
Onigiri

check travel advisory for chiapas and oaxaca areas. After all the pain and suffering,
what you plan is the wrong adventure. You do not want to start your life with a lost
Guatamalan passport and other papers!! Just make sure you get the body within the US
of A. Then I can see people celebrating in the security of Cancun, Mexico.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens traveling to the
state of Chiapas exercise caution. Armed rebels and armed civilian groups are present
in some areas of the state. In the mountain highlands north of San Cristobal de Las
Casas, the municipality of Ocosingo, and the entire southeastern jungle portion of
the state east of Comitan, tension and violence ebb and flow. Furthermore, some
segments of the local population resent the presence of foreigners and openly express
their hostility. For further information, please see the U.S. State Department's
Report on Human Rights Practices at http://www.state.gov. U.S. citizens traveling to
Chiapas are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy for further security information
prior to traveling to the region.

>
now
    >
there
    >
for
    >
border
    >
POE?

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:01 am
Alvena Ferreira

Toni B wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Haven't you had enough adventure at this point? <grin> Why risk everything with one
trip? There are places in Mexico where you do *not* want to be, trust me. Consider
the possiblity: bandito stops you, demands both of your passports (or searches you or
**mugs you** to get them), and there you are...stuck in the middle of Nowheresville
Mexico, with nothing and no money or passports to get either one of you back to the
states. Fly, baby, fly!

Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:07 am
Donna Maindrault

[usenetquote2]> > As many of you may know, my husband's I-212 has been approved and we are now[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > awaiting his interview in Guatemala. I was thinking about flying down there one[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > way and then traveling by land through Mexico as sort of an adventure for us[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > coming home together. What is the point of entry experience on the border in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mexico? Can he be processed there as well as coming into an airport POE?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Aw, be nice!

She won't be driving a car with American plates, and her husband speaks Spanish. They
won't be an obvious target for the few desperate people who prey on American
tourists. They'll probably have a wonderful time.

-Donna

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:51 am
Onigiri

[usenetquote2]> >From: Donna Maindrault [email protected] Date: 1/14/02 8:07 PM Easter[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >She won't be driving a car with American plates, and her husband speaks Spanish.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >They won't be an obvious target for the few desperate people who prey on American[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >tourists. They'll probably have a wonderful time. -Donna[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
conspicuous
    >
    >
am
    >
it's too
    >
the
    >
I looked at Lonely Planet Guide's note on Guatemala . Compared what happens in
Guatemala, highway robbery in Mexico will be rather pleasant. Have a good time. Make
photocopies of all important papers and put them in that zippered pocket of the
bullet proof vests.

Warning (Ref: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...ica/guatemala/) A
relatively high level of violent crimes are committed against foreigners in
Guatemala, so travellers should always be alert to potentially dangerous situations.
Incidents of bus- and car-jackings are quite common, and Guatemala's larger cities
can be dangerous after dark. Intercity travel after sunset should be avoided.
Kidnappings, rapes and assaults do occur during daylight hours and in some cases
affect entire groups of travellers. Travellers should be especially careful in the
Biotopo Cerro Cahuí, in the El Remate area, where there has been a spate of rapes and
attacks. There has been a recent rise in vigilante justice, especially in the
countryside, and outsiders who have attempted to interfere with such phenomena
(public lynchings and the like) have been dealt with harshly by instigators.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 8:42 pm
Toni B

So, anyway....can he be processed at the Mexican border? I would think so but just
checking...

Thanks

Old Jan 15th 2002, 11:31 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Toni B wrote:
    >
    >
    >
Of course he can. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org