POE experience, Detroit

Old Dec 19th 2002, 10:58 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default POE experience, Detroit

Hi folks. Well I am now in the US, sunny PA to be precise. I came in via Detroit 18th Dec and it went something like this:

Having read on these forums before that I should go through the US Citizen channel, I verified this with one of the numerous INS staff around (I assume they were INS staff - could be wrong). The person I spoke to told me to use the visitors line, though I started the conversation with 'I was told by the US embassy to go through the US citizen line'.

Duly standing in the visitors line, I check with another passing staff member (just to be sure ) who told me they didn't know anything about visas and just keep in line.

I eventually got to the top of a line (switched once all the USCs were done...) and my visa was marked with the flight number and I was sent to another line, marked special processing.

There was an attendant type person there who told me the lines were closed, but I told him twice, slowly, that I had been sent there. As there were clearly staff in the booth, I wasn't going anywhere...

Of the two staff there, I was processed by the less experienced one first. After he asked me 'When was the last time you were arrested?' and I responded 'I've never been arrested.' he passed me on to the more experienced person.

She took signatures and index finger prints, and sent me on my merry way.

Total time to process (excluding waiting time) 5 mins.

All in all not a stressful experience, and now I'm in the land of milk and honey. Happy days.

Today (19th Dec) I have applied for my SSN (only me in the local office, staff were very nice and thorough). I have also started getting myself onto my wife's bank details and will soon be applying for a credit card and all the usual.

See you all again on here, keep well and have a Merry <insert holiday of choice here>

Sam.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Ayisha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE experience, Detroit

Welcome to the US! I hope you're having a wonderful time.

My husband will be coming through Detroit as well, seeing as how I live in Michigan. Did you come in through Metro Airport? Which terminal? He's thinking of flying British Air because it comes straight here, instead of going through New York because, as he says, "I can't stand the thought of being in the same time zone with you again, and not being able to see you!"

Thanks!

Ayisha
Old Dec 20th 2002, 3:42 am
Spewman

"ukemigrant" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks. Well I am now in the US, sunny PA to be precise. I came in
    > via Detroit 18th Dec and it went something like this:

Sunny PA? Oh boy, you must be from the UK! LOL, welcome "home" to the USA!

Old Dec 20th 2002, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ayisha

My husband will be coming through Detroit as well, seeing as how I live in Michigan. Did you come in through Metro Airport? Which terminal? He's thinking of flying British Air because it comes straight here, instead of going through New York because, as he says, "I can't stand the thought of being in the same time zone with you again, and not being able to see you!"

Thanks!

Ayisha
British Airways flights used to arrive at the International terminal (Berry), and I think that they still do. I know for sure that Northwest/KLM flights arrive in the new terminal. All these flights arrive at Detroit Metro airport.

Caroline
Old Dec 20th 2002, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Caro
British Airways flights used to arrive at the International terminal (Berry), and I think that they still do. I know for sure that Northwest/KLM flights arrive in the new terminal. All these flights arrive at Detroit Metro airport.

Caroline
Thanks Caro! That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure, I had heard some horror stories about Metro, and I was wondering if I should just tell him to go through New York. However, New York is so busy and packed, that I didn't want him to take a chance of missing his connecting flight, the same way I almost did when I was coming home.

Have you seen the new terminal? Isn't is gorgeous? Rumor has it that there's a masseuse hiding somewhere in that huge building...
Old Dec 20th 2002, 10:13 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Sam
Old Dec 20th 2002, 10:53 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ayisha

Thanks!

Ayisha
Not sure which airport I came in through, but there was a big glass tunnel and lots of far-out music was playing. I'm sure there can't be too many airports with those....

Sam.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like an Austin Powers Movie set !!!!
Old Dec 20th 2002, 1:54 pm
Dex

ba does still go to the berry terminal. That is about is for that terminal.

Nobody ever there
Quick in and out.

Old Dec 20th 2002, 9:25 pm
Dawn B.

Ayisha, Northwest has direct flights to Detroit Metro form the UK...and
they tend to be a lot cheaper than British Air.

Where in Michigan do you live? Where is your husband from? My husband
feels out of place here still, he'd like to email other people from the
UK that live in Michigan...

ukemigrant wrote:
    > Originally posted by Ayisha
    >
    >>Welcome to the US! I hope you're having a wonderful time.
    >>My husband will be coming through Detroit as well, seeing as how I
    >>live in Michigan. Did you come in through Metro Airport? Which
    >>terminal? He's thinking of flying British Air because it comes
    >>straight here, instead of going through New York because, as he says,
    >>"I can't stand the thought of being in the same time zone with you
    >>again, and not being able to see you!"
    >>Thanks!
    >>Ayisha
    >
    >
    > Not sure which airport I came in through, but there was a big glass
    > tunnel and lots of far-out music was playing. I'm sure there can't be
    > too many airports with those....
    >
    > Sam.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 20th 2002, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

HI Dawn!

My husband will be coming from Pakistan, but he has a lot of choices besides PIA. If he does PIA, they'll drop him in NY. If he goes thorugh British Air, then he can come to Detroit, and if he does KLM, he goes to Chicago.

I live in the middle of suburbia, about 15 minutes from Mt. Clemens. I'm sorry, I don't know too many Brits living here. However, there is one I know of...he's a co-worker (I'm a teacher). I just got off for vacation, but as soon as I get back to work (January 6th) I'll ask him if he's interested. Where do you live?

Ayisha
Old Dec 29th 2002, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

loveabrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Spewman
"ukemigrant" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks. Well I am now in the US, sunny PA to be precise. I came in
    > via Detroit 18th Dec and it went something like this:

Sunny PA? Oh boy, you must be from the UK! LOL, welcome "home" to the USA!
I thought the same thing! PA sunny in December? Wowzers...I'm in Ohio and it ain't nothing but flurries and gray skies!
Congrats and welcome
T.