Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

POE = Washington Dulles - layover 3 hours (and thanks to all of you :)

POE = Washington Dulles - layover 3 hours (and thanks to all of you :)

Old Dec 7th 2002, 11:11 am
Vampier

Default POE = Washington Dulles - layover 3 hours (and thanks to all of you :)

Hi,

Is 3 hours enough to get an officer to look @ my envelope and visa? I think
so, but just wanted to know some experiences.

I would like to help the newsgroup for all the tips..... without you
everything would have been more stressy (looking back I don't even know why
I stressed @ some points

I'll keep on posting.

GreeTz

Patrick (the dutchy)

Old Dec 7th 2002, 5:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE = Washington Dulles - layover 3 hours (and thanks to all of you :)

Originally posted by Vampier
Hi,

Is 3 hours enough to get an officer to look @ my envelope and visa? I think
so, but just wanted to know some experiences.

I would like to help the newsgroup for all the tips..... without you
everything would have been more stressy (looking back I don't even know why
I stressed @ some points

I'll keep on posting.

GreeTz

Patrick (the dutchy)
Patrick,
When I asked the same question, the answers threw me into a worry...a couple of people said 3 hours would not be enough time.

That may be (local conditions will influence your entry), but when we came through on Nov 18 with an IV, processing time was less than 10 minutes. Scoot right up in the citizen's line and tell them you have an IV (or whichever) and hand over the paperwork. They don't want the XRAY. They will examine your visa at primary instpection, scribble on it and send you into secondary inspection (yes, the workers may be carrying sidearms/guns. Don't make any fast moves.). I believe you typically take a number and wait, but we were the only ones there and they relieved us of the big envelope, took a fingerprint and signature and sent us on our way. A couple of others from our flight drifted into secondary after us. The wait for baggage was the longest part and I barely remember clearing customs (we were traveling together and went through as a family, my first time & still a thrill). We had time for a pit stop, a smoke outside and a wander around before boarding our connecting flight.

Just read your own last aside about stressing...this part is just like the rest of it
Old Dec 7th 2002, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Vampier is an unknown quantity at this point

So basicly 3 hours will be enough to do the process.

Inhave 2 hours and 45 minutes to be exact hopefully everything will go smooth since I have everything i order. I got clearence from the INS and clearance from the US consulate in Amsterdam. I've got blue eyes and blonde hair :P

I hope It'll be enough else I have to start a scene (not planning on it.... some guys there have REALLY big guns)

GreeTz

Patrick
Old Dec 7th 2002, 8:21 pm
Keebee30

Default Re: POE = Washington Dulles - layover 3 hours (and thanks to all of you :)

I had two hours in LAX (Los Angeles)
By the time I got an immigration officer (I got sent to the Permanent
Resident/USA citizen line) it tooks about 5 minutes.
I waited more longer in line than I did with him.

So that should be more than enough.

Keely

Old Dec 7th 2002, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Keebee
now its rather intersting that you were sent to the Permanent Resident line. I asked after my Interview for K1, which line I should go to at the POE, and was told Visitors. That made sense inasmuch as the K1 is a non-immigrant visa. Were you entering under another visa?
Old Dec 7th 2002, 11:44 pm
Steggy

Default Re: POE = Washington Dulles - layover 3 hours (and thanks to all of you

keebee30 wrote:
    >
    > I had two hours in LAX (Los Angeles)
    > By the time I got an immigration officer (I got sent to the Permanent
    > Resident/USA citizen line) it tooks about 5 minutes.
    > I waited more longer in line than I did with him.
    >
    > So that should be more than enough.
    >
    > Keely

Me too, also LA, but that was two and a half years
ago...........I could just pass like a normal traveler,
except for the sealed brown envelope and a scratch through
my K-1.

But like I mentioned a few days ago: coming from a short
trip to the Bahamas I had to wait in Miami for two full
hours to get my advanced parole paperwork processed. That is
a different story. And Washington is a busy airport. Things
changed since last year September.
--
steg

Old Dec 8th 2002, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi,
I am came through Dulles at the end of August. From the time I got into the queue at 1st Immigration (As an alien spouse,I went through the US Citizens lines) then went through 2nd Immigration (at which point I was fingerprinted and had the I-551 stamped into my passport) The whole process was about 1 hour 15/20 minutes.
It could have been quicker but the officer at the 1st point was, I think, a bit new and seemed to be only learning the computer stuff.
All very polite, no hassles whatever.
Don't forget you then have to collect luggage and then go through customs.
If your question was regarding an ongoing flight and you were worried about getting the connection, I think you will be OK.
As I said the Immigration people were very polite and freindly, 2nd Immigration wasn't that busy, I'm sure that if you explained you had a connecting flight, the impression I got is that they would fast-track you, that's just my educated opinion, of course.
So, certainly don't worry about Washington as a POE, it was
plain- sailing.

Good luck
Old Dec 8th 2002, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
snip
Reading all this I should be fine (i hope )

Thanx for the answers.
Old Dec 9th 2002, 4:11 pm
Keebee30

To abba48uk

An immigration officer came up to me while I was waiting in line
(visitor line) He said "Come on you can come up here to go through" &
I followed him & it was the Permanent Resident/US Citizen line....I
was the only one there & I was travelling on a K1 Visa. They were real
nice. I know that times have changed since I came through (2001) -
Keely

Old Dec 9th 2002, 5:29 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dutchy,

Just go through the USC line anyway and if they make a fuss play the dumb foreigner and lay on the dutch accent until they concede and let you in! I had my POE stuff this weekend and it took 10 minutes tops from arriving at the INS guys desk to getting the I-551 stamped in my passport. (I am I-130 so you may be longer).

Remember the phrase that will get you out of any trouble - "I am from Holland - isn't that veird!)

Good Luck and God Speed

Patrick (not the dutchy)
Old Dec 9th 2002, 11:10 pm
Maarten Andriessen

"Vampier" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > Is 3 hours enough to get an officer to look @ my envelope and visa? I
think
    > so, but just wanted to know some experiences.
    > I would like to help the newsgroup for all the tips..... without you
    > everything would have been more stressy (looking back I don't even know
why
    > I stressed @ some points
    > I'll keep on posting.

Took me about 45 minutes in LAX.... But that was mainly because a large Air
China had just docked and everyone had to go through immigration where I had
to do my paperwork It should be enough time....

Maarten

Old Dec 11th 2002, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

If they didn't send me back @ the end of the line it would have taken me about 5 minutes :P I wasn't allowed into teh USC line..... it was gaurded by a grandpa out of hell. Everyone was grumphy for some reason...... well I made it.... I didn't have my fingerprints taken :P
Old Dec 11th 2002, 6:24 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Hey Dutchy,

Just go through the USC line anyway and if they make a fuss play the dumb foreigner and lay on the dutch accent until they concede and let you in! I had my POE stuff this weekend and it took 10 minutes tops from arriving at the INS guys desk to getting the I-551 stamped in my passport. (I am I-130 so you may be longer).

Remember the phrase that will get you out of any trouble - "I am from Holland - isn't that veird!)

Good Luck and God Speed

Patrick (not the dutchy)
))))))))) Patrick, I used to use that excuse occasionally when I lived in the Netherlands-"you'll have to excuse me I'm an American." I figured if it worked for Manuel it would work for me.......and it always did,