Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please help, require information on move to US - thanks.

Please help, require information on move to US - thanks.

Old Mar 15th 2002, 12:05 pm
Paulo

Default Please help, require information on move to US - thanks.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me ? I am looking to somehow get to the US, either
permanently or long-term.

Here's my background etc... if it helps.

I currently work in IT (Support) and have done so for 11 years, 6 years at one
company, then 5 years at another. I'm 29. I don't have a degree, but have come City
and Guild qualifications (I read somewhere that in the US, when employers refer to
degrees, they normally mean degrees 'or equivalants' - which I think the C&G may
fall into).

My Grandparents lived in the US (Milwaukee, then Ft. Walton, Florida) since long
before I was born up until about 6 years ago (I think they were there for about 40-50
years), and my Uncle (My real uncle that is, my mums brother), is still there and has
been for about 45 years or so) - he isn't a US citizen, but a lawful permanent
resident. Also, he has 3 children, my 1st cousines, who are all US citizens and 2
grandchildren.

I've been to the States over 30 times (every year since I was born and sometimes more
than once !) and love it, but I have difficulty getting information on how to get
over there more permanently, I'm not sure if my close family ties with the US and my
familiarity with it would help in any way.

It's seems to be one of the most difficult things to do, but I'm not going to give up
until I'm there, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I've tried contacting the US Embassy, but the stuff they sent through was very
confusing).

Thanks