Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

please help with process to bring brother/sister to US

please help with process to bring brother/sister to US

Old May 5th 2009, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Haley-751 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please help with process to bring brother/sister to US

Hi,

My cousin s gonna do paperworks for 1 brother (whose spouse and 3 children will be accompanied in the paper) and 2 sisters (2 spouses and total of 4 children will be accompanied) to bring them into the us. They have the same parents. She and I did some research ourselves regarding how to do it since we wanna file paperwork ourselves to save some money on Lawyer. Yet there is something we are not sure bout

1. What forms should we fill out, except 3 different I-130 for each of them?
2. For affidavit of support, should we use form I 864 or I 134 ?
3. Concerning affidavit of support, her household income is just enough to support for her brother and she need 2 other people to be her joint sponsors for 2 sisters. How we do affidavit of support for each case ?
4. What other documents should we include in our case? We thought about my cousin's birth certificate, her brother's, 2 sister's birth certificate.

any advice would be appreciation

HN
Old May 5th 2009, 2:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please help with process to bring brother/sister to US

Did you look up the potential wait for a visa to become available?
Old May 5th 2009, 2:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0048f3d6a1____
Old May 5th 2009, 3:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haley-751
1. What forms should we fill out, except 3 different I-130 for each of them?
For now, just the I-130s and supporting documents for those. Forms and instructions can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-130. Nothing else will be needed for approximately 12+ years, until a visa number is available to them. Chances are by then, employment and income has changed anyway. Also double check whether the children need their own separate I-130 filed.

2. For affidavit of support, should we use form I 864 or I 134 ?
When the time comes, it will be the I-864, unless something changes in the next 12+ years.

3. Concerning affidavit of support, her household income is just enough to support for her brother and she need 2 other people to be her joint sponsors for 2 sisters. How we do affidavit of support for each case ?
Joint sponsor fills out a separate I-864, unless something changes in the next 12+ years.

4. What other documents should we include in our case? We thought about my cousin's birth certificate, her brother's, 2 sister's birth certificate.
Include whatever is required on the I-130 instructions.

Rene
Old May 5th 2009, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all ur responses

1. as my understanding from all ur responses, I just need to fill in form I 130 only, along with all documents proofing sibling relationship and relation ship between his/her spouse and all children, right ?

2. 1 brother and 2 sister will need 3 diferent I-130 , is it correct ?

3. When will they require Affidavit of support (the I-864) ? after waiting time (lets say 10 years) ???

is there anybody done this process before, please advise? since we just wanna do it ourselves to save money on lawyer, the more detail you provide, the more helpful it is. thanks in advance

HN
Old May 5th 2009, 8:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all ur responses

1. as my understanding from all ur responses, I just need to fill in form I 130 only, along with all documents proofing sibling relationship and relation ship between his/her spouse and all children, right ?

3. When will they require Affidavit of support (the I-864) ? after waiting time (lets say 10 years) ???

is there anybody done this process before, please advise? since we just wanna do it ourselves to save money on lawyer, the more detail you provide, the more helpful it is. thanks in advance

HN
The ONLY thing you can do for them now is lodge an Immigrant Visa Petition (form I-130) for each eligible relative (one per person).
In the future, when a visa number becomes available to you sibling, they can bring their immediate family members with them.

The visa application does not begin until a visa number is available for them (watch the Visa Bulletin). The I-864 is part of the visa application.

This brochure from USCIS explains the process:
I am a US Citizen. How Do I..
Help My Relative Become a U.S. Permanent Resident?
This, plus the link Ray already gave you, tell the whole story.

As you watch processing times or receive notices of activity, remember that petition approval alone does nothing for your relatives until a visa number is available for them.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Form I-130, plus whatever backup documents the I-130 requires, for each sibling. Read the I-130 instructions to see what those documents are.

Each sibling needs a separate I-130, yes.

Yes.

Rene
Old May 6th 2009, 12:48 am
Just Joined

everything s clear now. thnks so much. I just saved $200 for Lawyer's fee on each case. (~_-)

If there is anything you guys wanna take note for me, please let me know

HN
Old May 6th 2009, 12:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

everything s clear now. thnks so much. I just saved $200 for Lawyer's fee on each case. (~_-)

If there is anything you guys wanna take note for me, please let me know

HN
Great! Save it for when they apply for their visas; it will be put to good use then.