Please Help: Immigration Advice

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Rich_Gonsalves is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Please Help: Immigration Advice

Hi All,

I am a British Citizen and am looking to move to Philadelphia with my wife and child. I would appreciate any advice on how to go about doing this and any difficulties or obstacles I will face. Also if you could let me know about how long the process would take before I could work in the US.

My wife is a US citizen and we have been married for over 2 years (married in the US). We also have a daughter who is 1 years old and is also an american citizen.

My wife and I are currently living in the Middle East working as English Teachers.

I appreciate any help you all may be able to offer.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help: Immigration Advice

Originally Posted by Rich_Gonsalves
Hi All,

I am a British Citizen and am looking to move to Philadelphia with my wife and child. I would appreciate any advice on how to go about doing this and any difficulties or obstacles I will face. Also if you could let me know about how long the process would take before I could work in the US.

My wife is a US citizen and we have been married for over 2 years (married in the US). We also have a daughter who is 1 years old and is also an american citizen.

My wife and I are currently living in the Middle East working as English Teachers.

I appreciate any help you all may be able to offer.
This'll be what you want:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

CR is for people married less than 2 years, and since you have been married over 2 years it'll actually be IR-1, but the forms and process are the same.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rich, Welcome to BE.

If your wife has been living in the same country for more than 6 months, you should look into filing the I-130 directly at the US Embassy there. That's called Direct Consular Filing (DCF) here on the forum (not an official term). That process is faster than filing the I-130 in the USA...but has its own pitfalls (qualifying for the I-864 affidavit of support, proving intent to domicile in the USA, etc).

So some more searching around on the CR-1/IR-1, and DCF. Come on back with any questions.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Rich, Welcome to BE.

If your wife has been living in the same country for more than 6 months, you should look into filing the I-130 directly at the US Embassy there. That's called Direct Consular Filing (DCF) here on the forum (not an official term). That process is faster than filing the I-130 in the USA...but has its own pitfalls (qualifying for the I-864 affidavit of support, proving intent to domicile in the USA, etc).

So some more searching around on the CR-1/IR-1, and DCF. Come on back with any questions.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi Rene:

On true DCF, the consulate in question might, or might not be more "liberal" in accepting the case.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

The I-864 and domicile issues have nothing to do with where the I-130 is filed. They are associated with the consulate that handles the visa application in any case.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

The I-864 and domicile issues have nothing to do with where the I-130 is filed. They are associated with the consulate that handles the visa application in any case.

Regards, JEff
OK, thanks.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

Regards, JEff
Rene never said the I-864 determined where it would be filed. She said the issue of the I-864 and domicile intent are pitfalls of DCF.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

That wasn't the point of my post.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Rene never said the I-864 determined where it would be filed. She said the issue of the I-864 and domicile intent are pitfalls of DCF.