Please help

Old Jul 13th 2002, 9:20 am
Nala Clarke

Default Please help

Can someone help me?

A few years ago, my husband began working in the US ( we are from Canada). He has a
vias to live and work. I was required to get a US drivers licence in order to be put
onto his insurance for his car. My insurance is in Canada so mine did not change.

I went to the DMV, showed my Canadian drivers licence and they gave me a drivers
licence, and returned my Canadian licence back to me with a whole punched in the
top. The lady asked if I was married and I told her yes. I showed her may married
licence. She put my married name on the licence. I did not want that as no id is in
my married name. She changed my name. I did not.

I did not stay in the US and had to return to Canada. I got back my Canadian licence
as my car is registered and insured in Canada.

Here is the problem...I was just granted my I-551. My green card is in my maiden
name. I applied for a SS# and will be getting it in the mail. My SS#, passport, birth
certificate, I-55 and all official documentation is in my maiden name. Nothing is in
my married name, other than the US licence. Even my Canadian driver's licence is in
my maiden name. I went back to the DMV and they told me "tough, you can't change the
name on the licence unless you get a divorce or a legal name change". The fact is
that I never changed my name legally and I have nothing to show that I did!

Fed up and frustrated, I returned to Canada and got my old licence back with Maiden
name. I threw the US licence away. I now need to get a US licence as I have moved
permanently. Does anyone know if it is possible to go into another US DMV with the
new Canadian licence, my passport, I-55 and birth certificate ( all with maiden name)
and get a new licence, ignoring the old one? Will the maiden name and married name be
cross referenced and seen as the same person? I need a licence but don't want to get
a divorce to get it! As I said all my legal documents including the original licence
( that I showed them) were in my maiden name. Shouldn't they have a record of this?