Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please could I have some guidance, very confused!

Please could I have some guidance, very confused!

Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Chris_tanj is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Please could I have some guidance, very confused!

Hello,

I am a student, in my first year studying Law, in the UK (I am a British Citizen). I have been in a relationship for 18 months with an American Citizen who lives in the USA.

We have thought about numerous ways in which we can be together, a permanent strategy is one which we will consider after my course is finished.
However over the next three years we want to be able to spend time with each other during my vacation periods. I understand, using the VWP, I can enter the USA for 90 days, and have done this before.

However during the summer vacations only, I would like to work. The only option availible to me seems to be the J1 Visa. Now I would have a job etc in the USA if I chose this. I have noticed though there is a 2 year thing which I do not fully understand

My Questions then are:
1) Can I apply for a J1 Visa every year? As im not sure because of 2 year thing.
2) Will it mean I have trouble in the future if I was to try and get a K1 visa? If 2 years have not passed.

Thank you so much for your time.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please could I have some guidance, very confused!

Originally Posted by Chris_tanj
1) Can I apply for a J1 Visa every year?
Most J visas are D/S - or Duration of Status. That means that as long as you are working for your J-1 sponsor or in school full-time, you can live and work in the US for however long you remain employed or in school.

As im not sure because of 2 year thing.
Depending on who (school, government) pays for the visa, your J visa may or may not be subject to a 2-year home residency requirement. Many are subject to the 2-year HRR... some are not. If you have the 2-year HRR, then once you leave your employer or finish school, you *must* return to your home country for a minimum of 2 years before you become eligible for *any* other US visa. Marriage to a US citizen does *not* negate this requirement. You *must* leave the US *if* you have the 2-year HRR. There is a waiver for this requirement, but they are *very* difficult to get... and are usually only given under extraordinary circumstances. Getting married to a US citizen is *not* an extraordinary circumstance.

2) Will it mean I have trouble in the future if I was to try and get a K1 visa? If 2 years have not passed.
If you have the 2-year HRR, you can *NOT* get a K1 visa until you fulfill that requirement or unless you manage to get the waiver.

Ian